cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese Hitch problem and Tech Bulletin

pnwham
Explorer
Explorer
While unhitching my Montana HC from my Reese 16K hitch, the hitch handle suddenly came loose in my hand. The jaws stayed open, so was able to unhitch, but upon investigation I found that the C-Clip at the end of the handle had come off, and that the end of the handle had come out of it's hole on the release linkage. I tried to replace it, but it would not hold so called Reese for a new C-clip. They were more than happy to send me one (actually 6) and a Technical Bulletin describing my problem and the fix for it. They say that this particular C-clip may have been incorrectly installed during production and that it could affect their 16K and 20K Pro Series and their 16K Select Series hitches manufactured between 1/1/2012 and 8/15/2014. This is Technical Bulletin TB15-03 issued in March, 2015. They even state "At low speeds, if a sequence of multipoint failure events occurs, the King Pin may become unlatched." I can see how this could happen, as it is the handle in its locked position that locks the jaws shut. Sure glad mine came out while parked! If you have one of these hitches, I suggest you take a look at it, it sure is unnerving when that handle comes loose.

Rich 2014 Montana HC 293RK pulled by a 2014 Chevy 2500 Gas
10 REPLIES 10

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another reason to replace it with a B&W...Let the games begin!!

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
pnwham wrote:
While unhitching my Montana HC from my Reese 16K hitch, the hitch handle suddenly came loose in my hand...........They even state "At low speeds, if a sequence of multipoint failure events occurs,the King Pin may become unlatched." I can see how this could happen, as it is the handle in its locked position that locks the jaws shut.

"if a sequence of multipoint failure events occurs"

It would take more than the handle becoming disconnecting to allow the jaws to open! Likely another "C" clip failure would need to happen or the pre-load spring to fail.

I have towed over 20 miles with my handle NOT locked! Low speed, high speed, stop and go, tight turns, and railroad tracks, never let go! The jaws are forced shut the harder you pull.

Hey Russ does this hitch work the same as yours? As you know I have seen a lot of this type hitch having problems.

Why yes the hitch does, the operator doesn't! :B

Keep in mind that this most used hitch on the market, and a lot of first timers, with all kinds of crazy ideas on the correct way to hitch. Most of which result in High Hitching>

#1. While I have forgotten to lock the handle twice, once went about 300' before remembering, then the 20 mile run, that proved to me that 100% of the drops is operator error. I believe most high hitch due to improper hitching procedure. I usually have the the pin box 1"+ lower than the hitch.

#2 Once the jaws shut, I do a quick pull test, as if the handle in "in" the pin is captured as soon as the jaws snap shut behind it. This is without leaving the cab.

#3. That and I have made what I feel is a very important change to my hitch! I took the kick up out of the release handle.

I think the shorter handle is the way to go. I think Valley and someone else has that same handle design and have seen damaged beds with them also just not as many as REESE since they sell a lot more.

These are just my observations, so those who may say I am bashing don't!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy Russ, I do not want to follow you on the road with all that loose stuff in your bed just waiting to fly out! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
pnwham wrote:
While unhitching my Montana HC from my Reese 16K hitch, the hitch handle suddenly came loose in my hand...........They even state "At low speeds, if a sequence of multipoint failure events occurs,the King Pin may become unlatched." I can see how this could happen, as it is the handle in its locked position that locks the jaws shut.

It would take more than the handle becoming disconnecting to allow the jaws to open! Likely another "C" clip failure would need to happen or the pre-load spring to fail.

I have towed over 20 miles with my handle NOT locked! Low speed, high speed, stop and go, tight turns, and railroad tracks, never let go! The jaws are forced shut the harder you pull.

Hey Russ does this hitch work the same as yours? As you know I have seen a lot of this type hitch having problems.

Why yes the hitch does, the operator doesn't! :B

Keep in mind that this most used hitch on the market, and a lot of first timers, with all kinds of crazy ideas on the correct way to hitch. Most of which result in High Hitching>

#1. While I have forgotten to lock the handle twice, once went about 300' before remembering, then the 20 mile run, that proved to me that 100% of the drops is operator error. I believe most high hitch due to improper hitching procedure. I usually have the the pin box 1"+ lower than the hitch.

#2 Once the jaws shut, I do a quick pull test, as if the handle in "in" the pin is captured as soon as the jaws snap shut behind it. This is without leaving the cab.

#3. That and I have made what I feel is a very important change to my hitch! I took the kick up out of the release handle.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
pnwham wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Good information
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnwham wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Look under the front of the top plate for the date code. If it falls between M011201 and M011431, you need to call/email for the new C Clip package.

Mine is M011333 so Cequent sent me the new C Clips.
magic43

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Happened on my 16K too.They sent me several c clips ad he same paper.Seems the should've put something out some where to warn people of the date codes involved.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL