cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repairing Wiper Seal on Slideout

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I accidentally put a small hole in the rubber wiper that runs along the top of my living room slide-out. I'm not too concerned about water intrusion since this particular rubber piece isn't meant to be completely waterproof. The actual waterproofing is taken care of by the seal around the inside perimeter of the slide.

So, I was wondering if I could repair it by using a bicycle tire tube repair kit? However, I know it's only a matter of time before it needs replacement. How difficult is it to replace these rubber "wipers"?
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
5 REPLIES 5

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
weakknees wrote:
A small piece of Eternabond tape might fix you up.

I was thinking of that, too. I have a large amount of Eternabond with me and all I need is a tiny piece for that hole. Of course, the color won't match since the tape is white and the rubber wiper is black but in that location it won't be noticed. I figured using the inner tube repair process may work a little better since the repair may be more flexible than with Eternabond. That wiper does see quite a bit of movement during operation of the slide-out. Another problem could arise if for some reason the Eternabond fix turns out to be not flexible enough. It would cause more damage to the rubber wiper if I tried removing the tape. Perhaps the best thing to do is go with the inner tube repair process first and see if that works sufficiently. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suggest contacting Chanute and ask RV what and how to do it.

Jim

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
PITA, but you can find a U-Tube video that goes step by stem.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
A small piece of Eternabond tape might fix you up.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow.. two in one day.

I'm replacing all mine as we speak. It's not all that easy for me because I've never done it, and I couldn't find any instructions. It's easy enough to pull the tape and attach to the wall. The hard part is positioning it to wipe without binding, and trimming the corners. Mistakes get expensive.

I had thought about having it done, but, I wasn't confident in the person who bid the job, and the other one didn't show up. I don't think it's a common job for any RV facility.

I'm chatting with a mfr in Canada about a few details.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman