cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing ac/heat pump

Africa2000
Explorer
Explorer
We had the unfortunate issue of our ac not working one month after we bought our 5th wheel. In our ignorance we called an ac repair local company and the long and short of it is we have voided our warranty and are forced to purchase a new unit because he had to put a port in to recharge the unit. My questions are:
Can we put in an ac unit only and avoid the heat pump.
Can we put in something other than the dometic unit that we currently have.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

From" learning the hard way"
3 REPLIES 3

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a HP now going since 2012 and still strong. "Knock on wood" If it went tomorrow, I would get another. It did have an issue one time with water coming in after a heavy rain from when the fan was turned on. It was NOT the seal. There was a build-up of debris around the unit causing water to build up in the pan.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I'd replace it with the same thing. Heat pumps are getting to be the "thing". Makes cooler weather camping cheaper by saving on the propane. When slides were new, there wasn't much thought about future resale value, now, not having a slide seriously affects resale. As more people become aware of the advantage of heat pumps (and the salesmen are doing their best along those lines), resale of a unit w/o heat pumps will be harder.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Sure you can replace a heat pump with just an AC but I would go back with the same brand especially if you have two units. You will have to replace the therostat is you change brands.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition