cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV repossession question

labonteak
Explorer
Explorer
I rented out to own my 5th wheel for someone to live in. They have defaulted on the rent. How do I repossess while they are still living in it?
27 REPLIES 27

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
352 has it down. $500.00 to get out of Dodge. Not even a question of which way is cheaper, moneywise AND timewise.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, As a few others have said HOOK UP AND GO. It a fifthwheel!!!!

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
OP hasn't chimed back since the opening post . He must have put the title in her name already & thought she was gonna trade it out. :S

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
hook up and drive them away in it

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe just: When they are out of it, put their stuff out on the street edge and tow it home or to a undisclosed location. Charge the locks.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
I have many investment properties. Through experience I found this to be very effective. Approach the tenant and ask if they would accept a cash payment of $500 to move out in 3 days. If they accept return and have some paperwork ready to be signed by the tenant and also have the local sheriffs department available when the paperwork is signed. This has worked %90 of the time for me. The $500 really pi$$es me off but it is a he!! of a lot cheaper than the cost of an eviction. Good luck

This....in the investment property world, we call this "cash for keys" and is worth an attempt. Much easier and cheaper than an eviction.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
352 wrote:
I have many investment properties. Through experience I found this to be very effective. Approach the tenant and ask if they would accept a cash payment of $500 to move out in 3 days. If they accept return and have some paperwork ready to be signed by the tenant and also have the local sheriffs department available when the paperwork is signed. This has worked %90 of the time for me. The $500 really pi$$es me off but it is a he!! of a lot cheaper than the cost of an eviction. Good luck
This would be my attempt at minimizing problems as well. Even if there is nothing in writing it is going to be a big problem if they don't want to leave. Incentives to leave is the absolute best outcome to hope for. Do not, under any circumstances, move the trailer, lock them out, turn off the power or anything else. It is amazing but true that even the deadest of deadbeats somehow know every in and out of landlord/tenant law. Take the wrong steps and you will be paying them thousands upon thousands of dollars in damages all while they are living rent free and destroying the trailer in the process.
2 excellent responses.

OP ie the Original Poster - Are you reading this thread? Any response? The $500 is conditional on them actually moving and no substational damage. A hole in a door for example is not substational. Cut your losses.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
This would be my attempt at minimizing problems as well. Even if there is nothing in writing it is going to be a big problem if they don't want to leave. Incentives to leave is the absolute best outcome to hope for. Do not, under any circumstances, move the trailer, lock them out, turn off the power or anything else. It is amazing but true that even the deadest of deadbeats somehow know every in and out of landlord/tenant law. Take the wrong steps and you will be paying them thousands upon thousands of dollars in damages all while they are living rent free and destroying the trailer in the process.

Explorer
Explorer
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
labonteak wrote:
I rented out to own my 5th wheel for someone to live in. They have defaulted on the rent. How do I repossess while they are still living in it?
Do you even know where they are?
Have you visited them in person to calmly discover their situation that caused them to stop paying? As a landlord you may still need to maintain the trailer. Written agreement should have provisions for all this.

If they really intend to not pay anything I would very nicely ask them to move out and allow you to come get the trailer. Offer to bring no legal action, no bad mark on their credit, no bad mark on their rental history etc if they are out in 30 days. Ask them to give you or send you a 30 day notice to quit to formalize the offer.

Expect the trailer to be nearly demolished inside upon return. I assume these people are judgement proof so court could be an expensive battle with no chance of recovery.

Rental business is tough at times. I know you tried to help these people. You know the saying... no good deed goes unpunished.

What is the realistic trade in value of this trailer?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope, renters have legal rights even when behind on payments. It varies by location of course and he needs to understand the requirements. Moving the rig could a lot of legal problems and cost.

Written or not the the renter has a legal contract.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Simple he isn't renting it. You own it. Hook up tow it off and return in your TV with his possessions. Relationship terminated. Any lip call police. Ownership and possession is 100% of the law.

If OP let them change title it's no longer HIS.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Simple he isn't renting it. You own it. Hook up tow it off and return in your TV with his possessions. Relationship terminated. Any lip call police. Ownership and possession is 100% of the law.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's yours, hook up and take it where you want. Give em 24 he's notice.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD