Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sabre or Sierra

mcferran1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I'm interested in a new bunkhouse, 40ft or longer, preferably with a middle second bedroom.

So far I've come up with the Palomino Sabre 36KSTB or FR Sierra 371REBH. There seems to be very little between these two so my question is, what are the main differences. The Sabre is around $2000 more expensive.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Parent company is the same for both Palomino and Sierra. They could be made in the same place. Forest River has a lot of different brand names, under their umbrella.

These two are not sister brands like Rockwood and Flagstaff. They're wholly separate companies within Forest River. And they aren't made in the same factory.

Now, Sandpiper and Sierra are sister brands. Same units, same factory, different stickers.

mcferran1 wrote:
I'm in the UK so have to use a dealer that sells all models.

I know that both are part of Forest River, my question was more of quality and reliability. Is Sabre or Sierra more high end than the other?

I'm looking at either the Sabre 36KTSB or the Sierra 371REBH.

Thanks

Mark.

In my opinion, quality-wise, they are likely very similar. I toured both and ended up buying a Sabre. We felt the fit and finish was higher on the Sabre. At the time, the things that were standard on the Sabre were options on the Sierra.

I don't see that model listed on Sabre's current list:
http://www.palominorv.com/ProductInfo.aspx?model=sabre&page=floorplans&RVType=FW
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Stefan
Explorer
Explorer
Pop over to the forest river forums where you can research both models in their specific threads. lots of info there.
Stefan
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD, 3.73, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.0L (loving it!)
2003 Layton lite 232 BH

mcferran1
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully the grey isn't so important to me. Lots of people seem very happy with their Sabres which is great, did anyone have a Sierra to compare it with.

goducks10 wrote:
mcferran1 wrote:
The fresh water tank is a consideration.

goducks10 wrote:
Unless either brand has a misprint then the Sierra has more tank capacity.
64 vs 50 fresh
108 vs 84 grey
54 vs 42 black.

The larger tanks would be real handy with kids.

For me it's the grey that I want big. I can always add water via 7 gal blue jugs and 12V auxiliary pump, but if the grey fills then I have to dump or use the tote. 108 for grey would be huge in our case.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mcferran1 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:
64 vs 50 fresh
108 vs 84 grey
54 vs 42 black.

For me it's the grey that I want big. I can always add water via 7 gal blue jugs and 12V auxiliary pump, but if the grey fills then I have to dump or use the tote. 108 for grey would be huge in our case.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
We're going on our 4th year with our Sabre and love it.

mcferran1
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10 wrote:
64 vs 50 fresh
108 vs 84 grey
54 vs 42 black.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
64 vs 50 fresh
108 vs 84 grey
54 vs 42 black.

mcferran1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the UK so have to use a dealer that sells all models.

I know that both are part of Forest River, my question was more of quality and reliability. Is Sabre or Sierra more high end than the other?

I'm looking at either the Sabre 36KTSB or the Sierra 371REBH.

Thanks

Mark.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say anything about the Sierra but we love our Sabre, we stay in it six months a year and it has been great....
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parent company is the same for both Palomino and Sierra. They could be made in the same place. Forest River has a lot of different brand names, under their umbrella.

Kind of like Flagstaff and Rockwood (both Forest River), where the only differences are model numbers, decals and interior colors. The floor plans and options are exactly the same.

Maybe the price difference is in the options installed, or not installed. Maybe, it's just the difference in mark up, between dealers.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)