cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out

TinyHouseHornet
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a slide-out that no one can figure out. It's a 1993 Damon Hornet and since I'm redoing all the electrical right now I can't use the electrical in/out button. No one can tell me where the manual override is. I had a mobile RV technician come out and he told me that hydraulic slideouts don't have manual overrides. That doesn't sound right to me (?) why wouldn't a hydraulic system have a manual in/out? I contacted Lippert to see if they would send me a manual but the customer service guy stopped replying to my e-mails. Anyone know where the heck the manual override would be (I have three pictures but it looks like I can only upload one to my profile, which I will do)
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You need to troubleshoot it one step at a time before you disassemble or replace anything. You could have ONE bad connection and it's no go. I sent you a message.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my hydraulic slide system there is a place on the end of the pump for a socket.

This is totally useless if your low on hydraulic fluid. I had to crawl underneath and disconnect the ram from the slide and run it out with a large Cresent wrench. Then I could access the compartment to change the o-ring and add more fluid. Then run the ram out and connect it back to the slide.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Does the pump run? If not, figure out why. Dismount the motor from the pump and make sure that's turning. If it does, then doesn't turn when mounted on the pump, the pump itself could be locked up. Yes, you can get water and rust =inside= a hydraulic system and it =can= rust.

Do the solenoids move? Most solenoids I've had experience with have manual activation by pushing on the end of the shaft that sticks out. It appears that yours have this. Give that a try.

I'm assuming that the first pic is of the landing leg motor and cross-shaft, with the very bottom showing part of the hydro system.

If the slide is out, you could remove the hose on the return side of the cylinder(s) at the pump, put them in a bucket, then try manually pushing the slide in.

'Bout all I can think of right now. Given that I've never had an RV with hydro, just grew up farming and dealing with hydro systems on tractors and implements.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TinyHouseHornet
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, many thanks to the person who told me how to post images. Couldn't figure that one out! I posted one and this is another one. Lippert did say to me that there would be a "protective label" with a bulls eye on it and that would peel off and underneath would be the hex nut. However, I don't see any protective labels at all. Thanks!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mine has hydraulic slides and I don't know of, or have heard of, any bypass or manual override. The only way to manually extend/retract the slides is with a reversible drill to the end of the pump. That can override a bad motor, or in your case a motor with no power. But out of luck with a bad pump.

I suppose you could disconnect hydraulic lines and push the slide hard enough to force out the hydraulic fluid.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
On our old trailer with hydraulic slides, there was a fitting on the end of the hydraulic pump that would take a socket. You could retract or extend the slide by using a drill and socket. So, look on the end of your hydraulic pump. It probably has some sort of covering over it. I think on ours the covering just peeled off.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't owned an hydraulic slide but I understand that some pumps can be run with a drill motor. I would guess that there may be a bypass valve that could be opened so the slide could be pushed in by hand. Someone will be along that knows.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Use THIS to post pics

Click select
Pick your photo from computer, camera etc
Highlight the stuff that appears in the box
Copy it
Paste it directly on this thread

You dont need to click any of the little icons up above such as the mountain icon