cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sneaky Leak

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
The 5er in my signature was parked in the yard with the slides out last week when we had 6+ inches of rain in 36 hours. When I checked yesterday, the carpet in the left rear corner was damp.
I THINK the water got in around the seal on the back of the slide-out, but can't tell for sure. Short of sitting in the trailer during the next deluge, how can I know? Checked the roof, seams, window, etc. and everything looks good.
I've never had this happen before, but I wonder if a little bit of water in a downpour is all that unusual.
Is it something that can be fixed? Where would I start?
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
2 REPLIES 2

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't they all sneaky?

I finally found one the ran down the inside of the driver's side front window. Fortunately I had a small bin on the dashboard that just happened to be located under the leak, and caught most of the water (~! inch deep). It was odd because the bin was about 1 inch away from the side window.

I discovered that the upper corner of the front cap had pulled away from the side panel just forward of the gutter, which allowed water to pour into it. There were also a few gaps in the corners of the fabricated aluminum window frames that needed caulking. I wish that a gutter extension was available, but the dealer was not aware of any that would fit.

Repairing it was interesting. I was on a ladder with a tube of black caulking, and I have a severe tremor that causes my hands to shake violently. What could go wrong? The neighbors came by to watch.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had one leak in an older trailer I had and it was hard to find. I had to take a water hose and put it on different areas for 15-20 min. and watch inside to see if there is any water. Mine was coming in around the top of a rear side window and dripping down the inside of the back window. I spent days and used tubes of silicone sealing the rear window and that wasn't the problem. Water can run inside the walls or ceiling and come out away from the leak.
Brian