cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

spare tire stuck under trailer

pearle59
Explorer
Explorer
i can't seam to get my spare tire off from underneath 2005 presidentcal 5th wheel. rusted on? any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need the spare right now? If not, try letting the air out of it. That may relieve enough tension on the mounts that you can shake it around and loosen things up.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your spare not mounted in there with a lift cable? Mine is and everyone wanting to use hammers and breaker bars made me wonder if yours is different than mine.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up your trailer, drive it to your tire shop (Les Schwab for me) and then go have breakfast and nice cup of hot coffee:):):)

tn_terry_t
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
if its been there for ten years? you,ll need a bigger hammer. heat pent oil and a breaker bar extension.

The OP's 5th is a 2005.

Where did he say the spare hasn't been removed during his 10yr ownership??..:h

The Mod's advice is xln't.

Allow overnight "soak" time.

~
well where did it say it had not been under there for 10 years?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
if its been there for ten years? you,ll need a bigger hammer. heat pent oil and a breaker bar extension.

The OP's 5th is a 2005.

Where did he say the spare hasn't been removed during his 10yr ownership??..:h

The Mod's advice is xln't.

Allow overnight "soak" time.

~

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly not Rust. Due to pick-ups losing under-mounted spares, the manufacturers have been forced to place a lock on the cable holding the tire. As the unit goes down the road, the jarring of the highway causes the cable to squeeze down between layers of cable underneath. This creates slack in the cable, which allows the tire to swing. The "cure" has been a clamp that grabs the cable, before enough slack is available to allow swing. The end result is a tire that can't be dropped, without aid from a tire shop or dealership. I'm not sure if trailers have this "feature", but even a little bit of cable squeezed down between the layer underneath can get hung up tight enough to appear to be stuck.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
P B Blaster also does a good job on rusted nuts and bolts.

^^Yes, this!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

drcook
Explorer
Explorer
PB-Blaster is one of the absolute best penetrants. Acetone and automatic trans fluid (ATF) mixed together will penetrate rust also. PB-Blaster is what I have been using lately. You might need to get is going with a persuader, then spray some more so it will continue to penetrate. Give it a couple days of whatever product to penetrate the rust, with repeated applications of the penetrant.
2004.5 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - was an Overheater fixed it!!! Bilsteins, Banks stuff, Hellwig Sway bars front and back
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX

2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback Crosses - brothers
2 Beagles
1 Shih Poo
1 Shih Tzu
1 Camping Cat
1 wife

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
P B Blaster also does a good job on rusted nuts and bolts.

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid Wrench first comes to mind. The second is WD-40 Rust Release Penetrate Spray. You should be able to find either at any hardware store.

Spray on to the rust areas that are preventing the spare tire to be released, then let stand for the time (15-30 minutes) to permit penetration, and then loosen nuts with a jack wrench or large socket wrench. You may need additional leverage to "crack" the rust. I have a three foot length of pipe that fits over the the wrench handle. When I'm applying this kind of leverage I am *very* careful to pull and not jerk the action as I do not want to break the tool or the mounting bolts.

As a last resort if the rust is truly solid, your only other choice is to apply heat to the area with a propane torch, then loosen with the wrench/leverage but this should only be done with VERY great care and only if you are absolutely sure of what you're doing.

Hope this helps.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!