cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spray Foam Undercoating / Insulation

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Curious if anyone has done this here. Looking to get it done come spring time for potential winter use.

cheers,

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

11 REPLIES 11

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
For -35? I would cover it with an insulated tarp and put a wood stove in it. ๐Ÿ™‚

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steakman wrote:
Well, I'm looking to go about 3-4 inches of this product...? and for the winters up here (-35+), have a skirt.

First, no way would I try to live in an RV in -35 deg winters.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI some foam is known to attract carpenter ants to nest in, I had it happen to a metal building, and had to scrape all the foam off to get rid on them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't skirt as I'm on the road too much.

I have looked into spray foam and have decided against it. I feel that high pressure spraying of slush from the road might well penetrate and then never dry out.

If planning on using lots of electric heat, then upgrade the "stab" connectors with real screw terminal outlets.

I solved the cold floor problem with electric heated carpets.

The safest heaters may be the oil filled units. The surface temperature doesn't get hot enough to scorch materials.

My waste tanks and valves are enclosed. Some one at the factory failed to install a heat duct. I added a 600 watt heater on a mechanical thermostat.

I replaced the cold air return grill with dual window fans. They are on a mechanical thermostat and keep the fresh water lines from freezing.

The peak electrical load is about 7000 watts. I added two auxiliary shore power cords which gives me OEM 30 amp, 20 amp, and 15 amp inputs. I power those from a 50 amp pedestal where I use a break out box to give me a 30 amp on one leg and dual 20 amp outlets on the other.

Remember that, for continuous duty, a 30 amp circuit should not be driven past 24 amps, 15 to 12 amps and 20 to 16 amps.

I am able to successfully heat 100% electrically, provided that there are adequate shore power outlets.

I have had occasion to use an autoformer to boost voltage during the winter months.

There is a great thread on winter camping in the full time forum.

I've used my RV wet at -37 c.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bcbackroad
Explorer
Explorer
The only foam that is close cell is XPS foam.

Spray foam will work but even the best application is only 90% close cell...which means that it can absorb 10% water so it needs to be covered.

A buddy of mine has spayed it for year. I would tell him that 2lb foam shouldn't spay a roof.....move ahead 10 years...they changed the BC building code so only 1/2lb foam can be sprayed in a roof which allows water to pass through.

How about skirting made with snow, hay, fabric or boards.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It will do a great job but it will be a pain to do any repairs afterword.
BTW, you want to make sure you use closed cell foam which is water proof.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember that to be effective, insulation must be continuous and that means if you are insulating the underbelly that the sides of the I-beams must be covered as well. Then if you only add insulation to the underbelly between the I-beams, then a full 25% of the floor area (I-beam to wall) receives no benefit. And that is not counting the slide out floors which are the least insulated. Finally, there are the slide out mechanisms that can't be sealed with spray foam.

Skirting using rigid foam board may be more effective if the unit is stationary.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a lot in common. When I was a tie in welder, then tie in foreman , then welding boss ffor OJ we laid Alliance PL around Whitecourt Ab. Jan- Apr. 2000. We camped by the Athabasca bridge, never froze. Batched filled and dumped from the camp water. We had a H/R 32' TT , skirted with vinyl
First I heat traced the water lines with SS 5 w/ ' cable, glued old water ned heaters to the holding tanks, added 1 1/2 pvc 'brick mould' to the frame to allow additional 1 1/2 HD foam insulation. Then put coroplast underbelly on
A neighbor in the camp did the spray foam over his heat traced water systems. It didnt work in the -40c . May have been his set up.
Remember, you must vent all your shower and cooking moisture, use a dehumidifier.
Search for bobs your uncle, pianotuna. These guys from Calgary and On. have also done it.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just wondering if spray foam insulation will make it harder or almost impossible to access stuff might need repairing....plumbing, electrical, etc.

I'd use bat insulation and coroplast.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm looking to go about 3-4 inches of this product...? and for the winters up here (-35+), have a skirt.
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adding insulation to the bottom offers very little help on winter heating. You could easily add Reflectix to the bottom and then enclose the bottom with the corrugated vinyl

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot