cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ST Tires ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have LT tires on my fiver, thinking of going back to ST tires, does anyone have a brand they would recommend. Not to keen on Chinese tires. Size is ST 235 85 16.

Thanks
Art
83 REPLIES 83

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thatโ€™s fine you guys keep on supporting the Chinese.

Zero issues. Guess that ainโ€™t good enough for some.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
He used statistics. Thousands of tires sold and not one non roadhazard claim. That is a fact.

so thousands of NEW tires haven't failed. I would hope not.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I guess FACTS don't matter!

Only experience really counts. Any fly by night professionals can make up their facts based on a VERY SHORT time span. As I say. In a few years we will have a good knowledge / sampling of how good or bad they are. But not in so short a production run. ANY china bomb will last 2 years, and we know how good they are.

and they are GoodYears. that is a strike against them to start with.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I am an LT believer, the Endurance that Arctic Fox is putting on their new trailers have almost converted me. Every time we go out we are on gravel, and have had no issues at all, and I pay close attention to my tires.

Now that it has been mentioned, I have not seen one post on the Arctic Fox forums about tire issues. They do have a reputation for building heavy trailers.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely a fact, but, in truth, a pretty meaningless fact without data to say how many miles have been put on those thousands of tires.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
He used statistics. Thousands of tires sold and not one non roadhazard claim. That is a fact.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
What exactly are those facts? Numbers-wise I mean. How many tires have been bought and how many miles have they been used? You say you haven't seen any non-road hazard failures, but how many miles are we talking about on how many tires. No failures on 27 tires with a total of 10,000 miles may be facts, but they don't allow for much extrapolation.

Come back with some hard numbers, and then we can talk FACTS, not just opinions, of which your "tire expert" has one, just like everybody else.

Heck I've seen your "tire expert" tell someone what happened to their tire when all he had was a picture of an exploded carcass. So his opinion is just his opinion.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess FACTS don't matter!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"All the same. I'll wait a couple more years to say they are great tires. Most any tires will last 3 years. It's that 4th year that will get you."

OK, please return next Summer to declare they are a winner!!! Even tho the professional already said they were.

The professionals don't tow my trailer. GoodYears have been disaster for many years. 2 1/2 years of a new tire ain't going to fix all that in my mind. Or most other people.

I use to run GY on my cars until I finally figured out they don't last.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"All the same. I'll wait a couple more years to say they are great tires. Most any tires will last 3 years. It's that 4th year that will get you."

OK, please return next Summer to declare they are a winner!!! Even tho the professional already said they were.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

We are talking the whole market not just a few examples. 2 2/3 years is more than enough time and this is backed up by CapriRacer.

My experience analyzing tire returns for a major tire manufacturer says that it is the summer months that matter and that tire failures peak in the 3rd summer, but you get a good indication after the second summer. That means the Goodyear Endurance has experienced 3 summers with no reported non-road hazard failures.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

All the same. I'll wait a couple more years to say they are great tires. Most any tires will last 3 years. It's that 4th year that will get you.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
After having tire problems I ended moving up to G load range, Hartland tires from Discount Tires. Great tires and good price.

I went with Hartland tires from Discount Tire a couple of years ago. No problem at all. Seem to be wearing good. Will buy another set when these wear out.
I have them on a DRV 40' 5th wheel.
Smokey&Bobbye

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ilvtravln wrote:
OK, Going to buy LT tires, thats what I have now and never had a problem. Thanks to all who wrote.

That would be your safest/best bet.
There is no fabic ST tires in 16" load E/D/C that compares to a commercial grade all steel ply carcass LT tire like the Michelin XPS Rib or a bridgestone R-238.
Both tires have enough tread to run 50k-70k miles and 7+ years of trouble free service....something a 16" ST E with those thin 9 or 10/32" tread depth isn't capable of doing.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Another vote for GY Endurance. They've been around long enough for me and their record is excellent regarding blowouts and failures.
The only thing I don't like about them is they are subject to rock mining, where a sharp rock will burrow all the way down to the cords. Most tires wont do this but mine have several places where I can see the silver cords after removing rocks.

I have followed this and many other tire discussions and have a question about this comment and those by others. If the Endurance is so good (stellar) after only 3 years why is this rock mining occuring? As pointed out by Capri Racer the 3rd year of a tires' life is when problems may show up and now an issue has been identified. I don't know about others here but if I found a 3 year old tire with cords showing in the thread area due to rocks I would not want that tire on my equipment until the reason is found. IMO the jury is still out. And Scott, I am not picking on you, just using your words to highlight my thoughts.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I said that when it comes to tires failing from non-road hazard causes, the returns peak in the 3rd summer, but you get a good indication in the 2nd summer.

That means that if rock mining is an issue, by the 3rd year some would have failed.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, Going to buy LT tires, thats what I have now and never had a problem. Thanks to all who wrote.
Art