cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

standard or low profile?

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I planning on having a bedroom A/C unit install in the fall to deal with the Texas heat next winter. I going to look at the RV surplus stores in Indiana for one but I'm getting different opinions to get a standard unit or a low profile. I seen either unit is used on fifth

what do you say?
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl
6 REPLIES 6

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the need to stay under 13'-6". But you have to understand exactly what item on your roof sets the current height in order to determine how much it will increase. In my case, it was the shower skylight (which sticks significantly above the roof surface). By going with a low profile unit, total height increased only 3 inches. Very pleased.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a high profile 5er, then a low profile A/C would probably be best. If you have a mid or low profile 5er, the the standard A/C would be fine. As noted above, stay under 13'-6". Lower is better.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above. Try to stay under the 13'6" standard if at all possible. Bridges/tunnels under 13'6" are shown in the truckers atlas low clearance listing. Depending on your fiver height, that may require a low profile.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
You need to take some measurements of your 5ver's height. You DO NOT want to exceed 13' 6" at the highest point. As that is the max height allowed for standard bridge clearance. Based on what you find, will dictate which AC you should install. On my Cardinal, the front and center ones are both 13.5K low profile. the rear one is standard 15K with heat pump.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Look at high efficiency options too, some models have a greatly reduced starting and running amperages.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you need a low profile for traveling?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad