Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tankless Water Heater not Working - Need Help

mondaymorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
So... Central California had a hard freeze the night before last. I left my cold water dripping to keep pipes from freezing and it seemed to work... woke up in the morning, turned on cold water and had no issues. BUT, I then turned on the hot water worked for a few seconds, then started sputtering hot steam... so I immediately turned it off. Waited a minute, turned back on... nothing came out. Turned on cold water, ran it for a minute, turned on hot water... stayed cold. Turned off cold, water still ran but ran cold.
Now its just normal flow, but cold. I hear the heater running, but its not heating the water. Checked the unit and from a physical inspection nothing seems to be wrong, no burning smell, melted wires, cracked pipes, etc. It is a Watt 15,000 btu tankless heater... I really don't have the money to replace it and am praying I am missing something that someone here may be able to point out. I can email pictures of the unit... can't seem to attach them here. The red plastic component is what I hear running, but it does have somewhat of a ticking sound to it... not sure if it made the same sound before.
Any and all input and ideas would be tremendously appreciated. Also, how do I prep my 5th wheel for those rare nights the temp drops below freezing? Do I have to do the whole antifreeze thing every time... even with the heat running?
BTW, I have a 2006 Outback Sydney 28FRLS... the heater is obviously aftermarket ๐Ÿ™‚
10 REPLIES 10

Sawdusty
Explorer
Explorer
Allen8106 is correct with his information. I have the same water heater. Just leave the switch on and the propane on and the heater will come on for a few seconds every once in a while to keep the cubicle warm. There is also some heat tape around the paddle wheel in the incoming water line that has to be powered by 120v/ac.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
On page four it also says it has built in freeze protection.

Winter Operation and Winterizing Water Heater
This heater is equipped with freeze protection that will
prevent freezing under most conditions. In order for it to
function, 12 VOLT AND GAS SUPPLY MUST REMAIN
TURNED ON. This allows the burner to fire and electric
elements to protect the system. Any freezing of the
water heater or other plumbing components can cause
severe damage that is not covered by warranty.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the diagram, it appears that he probably froze the water inside the water heater. Running a slow drip on hot may help, but you have to remember you have a lot of surface area in contact with very little water, so the cold will more easily freeze a tankless unit. I was hoping to see a "Winter" or "Frost" mode for an RV tankless like I have for my home tankless water heater. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't. My vote is that he simply just froze up.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
liberty2010 wrote:
My guess is with water running through it all night the igniter may have burned out or the contact is coated with 'effort' from trying all night.

The OP said that water was running from the cold water. From what I know about on-demand water heaters a slow drip will not activate the heating cycle. There has to be a substantial flow as a safety feature. I wonder if a fast drip might protect the heater and pipes during a freeze?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is with water running through it all night the igniter may have burned out or the contact is coated with 'effort' from trying all night.

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
here's a link to the model he's got. Scroll down the page a little and there's a link to the Installation/Owners manual which has a troubleshooting section.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert on your particular water heater but I would hesitate to run the unit unless I was certain it had some water in it. You might damage it or even melt something if you run it dry.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Hot water pipes, and the pipes leading to the water heater, will often freeze before cold water pipes because the hot water is not used during the evening and at bedtime will contain water that is colder than the cold water pipes which are used in the evening.

Perhaps the delivery pipe to the water heater have frozen. One can help prevent this by running the hot water before going to bed. Better yet insulate the pipes and also run them.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
do you have the installation/operation manual? There's a section on troubleshooting that may help you.

mondaymorn
Explorer
Explorer
It is a precision temp RV-550...