cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking about getting a fifthwheel

MCMD
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a class B+ motorhome ( Forest river lexington) for 10 years but have only had time for 2 or3 week long trips per year and then some weekends. We have loved it but the storage is terrible and we decided we didn't really want to tow. We retire in a little over a year and my husband wants to swap to a fifthwheel for bigger storage/living space and to be able to drop/detach for longer stays. The goal is to not full time but go for a month or so at a time.
We are active but not as agile or as strong as we used to be so I find the size a bit intimidating.
Our motorhome has had it's share of usual annoyances and repairs but nothing terrible so we are only handy to a certain degree.
We like the rear living model...but wondered if any particular model/company has a better reputation or honors warranty work without huge hassle( if we go new) in your opinion. We would like to stay under 35 ft.
How important are bells and whistles like automatic leveling etc that seems to add a big $?
We will try to buy within the next 6 months so we have time to search.
Also...any thoughts..do you think we would regret giving up the ease of the motorhome,is a fifthwheel "difficult" to get used to 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you already have a tow vehicle or is this another purchase?
This is important as attempting to tow a 36+ foot fiver means your encroaching on dually terratory.
So lets start with the premise you do not have a truck. Buy a dually and them pick almost any fiver you like.
Buy a 3500SRW and you start to limit yourself to sizes 36 feet and under.
Pick a 2500 and limit yourself to 33 feet and under. These of course are general numbers and can vary widely based on which fifth wheel you want.
BTW class A MHs by far will have more storage. Fifth wheels will have more living space for a given length but less storage.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MCMD wrote:
We have had a class B+ motorhome ( Forest river lexington) for 10 years but have only had time for 2 or3 week long trips per year and then some weekends. We have loved it but the storage is terrible and we decided we didn't really want to tow. We retire in a little over a year and my husband wants to swap to a fifthwheel for bigger storage/living space and to be able to drop/detach for longer stays. The goal is to not full time but go for a month or so at a time.
We are active but not as agile or as strong as we used to be so I find the size a bit intimidating.
Our motorhome has had it's share of usual annoyances and repairs but nothing terrible so we are only handy to a certain degree.
We like the rear living model...but wondered if any particular model/company has a better reputation or honors warranty work without huge hassle( if we go new) in your opinion. We would like to stay under 35 ft.
How important are bells and whistles like automatic leveling etc that seems to add a big $?
We will try to buy within the next 6 months so we have time to search.
Also...any thoughts..do you think we would regret giving up the ease of the motorhome,is a fifthwheel "difficult" to get used to 🙂

First, don't depend on the mfr as much as the dealer for warranty work. Find a =good= dealer for the brand(s) you're contemplating. That being said, remember that you =won't= be able to use them when traveling, so a call to the mfr to check to see if they have issues with using mobile service for warranty work, is also in order.

While our new KZ doesn't have a ton of stuff, one of the things that I was adamant about having was the self-leveling. While there's been a learning curve, so far, I love having it. Shoot, just having dual motors on the front jacks makes it so much faster to raise and lower. If money were tight, I'd have this over the solid counter tops (and pick up some cargo capacity, too) any day.

I'm NOT a fan of the electric awnings as I feel they're too fragile, especially if you camp in windy areas. Here in AZ, we end up losing all our shade if it gets too windy and, even at 7k+ feet, it gets hot in the sun, and worse if you're boondocking. Unfortunately, manual awnings are no longer available on the majority of RVs above the most basic.

I love the all LED lighting and noticed a huge difference in power usage over my old FW, which was all-incandescent lighting. I use 2 6v golf cart batteries and had no issues on our boondocker.

For someone just getting into a FW, even though you've been RVing, look at good used rigs. Ones in excellent condition tend to have all the bugs already worked out and, maybe, even some mods done that make it even better. 2 mid-level brands that have a better warranty than most are Jayco and KZ. I extensively researched for over 2 years and they had the floorplan I most wanted, though did NOT end up with. :B KZ was my #1 choice for 2 reasons. I felt that they had a slightly better "rep" than did Jayco, but it was pretty close. Secondly, the KZ models I was looking at simply had larger tanks and, since we boondock some, having a larger black tank was a necessity. Both these brands have 2 year warranties, so I think that sets them above other brands just a bit.

Now, one of the biggest mistakes is that many FW buyers either already have a truck, or buy a truck =first=. Better to look at FWs first to see what you like, then get a truck to fit what you like. Second biggest mistake is that new FW buyers listen to salesmen when it comes to what a truck can tow. With FWs it's not about TOWING; it's about PAYLOAD, i.e., how much weight can any particular truck carry. You've got the whole front of the FW to carry in the bed of your truck, on top of the hitch, fuel, people and "stuff". Even a 35' FW can easily have 4,000 lbs on the hitch, so you have to be aware of this when buying.

Good luck in your search and do NOT be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked, IMO. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member