2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
122 REPLIES 122

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
I walked in a new Landmark a couple years ago that the couple across from us in a snowbird park had just bought, and the first I noticed was butt joints in the crown molding with gaps up to 1/8" in many places. Really turned me off as a "quality" unit!

Maybe it was a result of the dry heat!

When evaluating a unit I try not to focus on the frills and glitz. I more concerned about the structural framing. The Frame design. Cabinet construction Insulation quality and type. Tire quality.
Most of my concerns are behind the walls. I don't expect true quality finish carpentry in an RV and would not judge the unit based on trim.

DRV has a stellar reputation. My hope is that Thor maintains the level of quality we have come to expect from DRV.
What we fear is that Thor bean counters will have a negative effect and short cuts will be taken. Only time will tell.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I walked in a new Landmark a couple years ago that the couple across from us in a snowbird park had just bought, and the first I noticed was butt joints in the crown molding with gaps up to 1/8" in many places. Really turned me off as a "quality" unit!

Maybe it was a result of the dry heat!

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah sure buddy... How about drain pipe off kitchen sink routed up against spring bracket wearing hole thru pipe... How about four way valve breaking twice... How about water pipes leaking in belly of RV continue to come loose... How about compartment door hits gas spring keeps knocking it off... Gaskets on slide outs continue to slide off track... and on and on and on... You know minor things...

Like I state in my sig... garbage.
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

Infinityrver
Explorer
Explorer
texanrvr wrote:
First is obvious......it will get a Lippert frame. Not saying good or bad, just sayin'.

I'll be surprised if Thor (oh, I'm sorry Heartland) keeps the three and a half inch wall with a 102" width.

Let's see......whatever name you want to buy will be pretty much the same Landmark 365, Redwood, Carriage, and DRV.

Can't wait to see what company they purchase next.
First is obvious......it will get a Lippert frame. Not saying good or bad, just sayin'.

Uh, DRV already uses a Lippert frame, standard suspension with Mor Ryde I/S available as an option, and the Level Up.

Ah, where was my head? I should have remembered that from DRV having the 6-point level up before any other manufacturer.
'12 Infinity 3850RL
'11 Ford F350 FX4 Diesel

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
So Heartland needs more capacity, wheres it going to expand, pretty evident,looks like a DRV ,but is it a DRV Quality wise.From what ive seen the heartland is a decent product,but have they improved it,from before the takeover,i dont think so.They could have taken the Landmark and made it class leading to even compete with the Drv, but you have 2 many exc,s that want to take home there bonus and put out a lessor quality product.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Infinityrver wrote:
Travlingman wrote:
Heartland buys DRV

Wonder what the changes will be?

I'll be surprised if Thor (oh, I'm sorry Heartland) keeps the three and a half inch wall with a 102" width.

Let's see......whatever name you want to buy will be pretty much the same Landmark 365, Redwood, Carriage, and DRV.

LOL...it already HAS a Lippert frame...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer

Uh, DRV already uses a Lippert frame, standard suspension with Mor Ryde I/S available as an option, and the Level Up.
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford Man wrote:
roadking59 wrote:
I will ever buy another Heartland product.

Me either. Too many little problems.

Keep mentioning "little" problems. What are they? Day night shade string broke? Door hinge loose? Faucet leaking? Light bulb burn out? Let's here it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Infinityrver
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
Heartland buys DRV

Wonder what the changes will be?

'12 Infinity 3850RL
'11 Ford F350 FX4 Diesel

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
So far, Thor's history has been to acquire, cheapen the product quality and then, try to sell on the names past history.

If you wanted a DRV, better get one quicly, before they head down hill.

Ken

Care to back this up with actual facts?
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
And remember Forest River is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River is a 1.6 billion dollar company Thor is not even a tenth of that,but there are as many ways to measure a company as you can shake a stick at.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm Thor claims "Thor is the sole owner of operating subsidiaries that, combined, represent the worldโ€™s largest manufacturer of recreational vehicles". Forest River makes no such claim while being a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway and Jayco is family owned and most likely focuses on innovation to compete against the big boys. Again, Thor is positioning itself to have a strong pricing advantage like most companies would like to do.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Not a monopoly,they are only a tenth the size of Forest River.
Jayco must be very nervous though.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I think pricing power for Thor has significantly increased. Can you say monopoly ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, most board of directors are interested in growth and profit. Buying competitors is another way to meet growth targets.