Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new roof

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,
On a recent trip, my wife and I found a significant hole in our roof. We think it was caused by a vendor who installed AC units for us. The hole looks like they gouged the roof with a fork lift (which is what they use to raise the AC unit).

So, now we are filing a claim and getting the roof replaced. We will also research any water damage, etc. that was done before I made the patch.

My question is this. With the new roof going on, have any of you checked out the RhinoLiner product called Eco Coat? I am curious to hear some feedback.

Also, if you have opinions on top quality roof replacements, I would love to hear that also.

Thanks so much!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
23 REPLIES 23

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I talked to our RV tech about Flex Armor. He said it's good, but it's very heavy. I don't know about you, but I'm the weight police in our house and that would cause me concern. We'd have to reduce our cargo and/or change our suspension, possible tires too, to handle the extra weight.
I'd talk to Flex Armor about how heavy it is instead of some tech who will bad mouth anything that he's not going to be installing.

You don't know my RV tech. He's an expert in his field. Do what you want. We go with his advice.

More importantly, for those who have had it done, exactly how much weight does it add. The installer will know. Thanks!

I wish I could give you an exact (or, even approx) weight....but canโ€™t. My thought,my 5er weighs right at 20 K pounds....whatโ€™s a few more, for a superior roof!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
There is RV Roof FlexArmor which is 3/16" thick. The web site does not give a weight. You have to go to them.

Then there is RV Armor - with the web site indicating that for most the weight is less than 80 lbs. "Most" is not defined. They come to you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I talked to our RV tech about Flex Armor. He said it's good, but it's very heavy. I don't know about you, but I'm the weight police in our house and that would cause me concern. We'd have to reduce our cargo and/or change our suspension, possible tires too, to handle the extra weight.
I'd talk to Flex Armor about how heavy it is instead of some tech who will bad mouth anything that he's not going to be installing.

You don't know my RV tech. He's an expert in his field. Do what you want. We go with his advice.

More importantly, for those who have had it done, exactly how much weight does it add. The installer will know. Thanks!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
FlexArmor! We did it last summer. Very pleased so far. I canโ€™t believe that it โ€œTHATโ€ heavy. Even โ€œifโ€ it adds a few pounds to the RV weight.....integrity comes with a little weight!

If I had it to do again.....Iโ€™d do the same! ??
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

yankeecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RV ARMOR. Had them do my roof on my 2010 Grand Junction and it was a nice job. They come to you and paint on a new roof with life time guarantee. When they get done there are no seams to leak. Not sure of price but it was somewhere around $130.00 a ft.
Barb and Rich, Fuquay Varina, NC
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesmen Quad Cab
Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Likely, you'll get paid for a "standard" roof replacement and you'll have to pay for anything else. I called a local company about FlexArmor several years ago on my old Komfort. IIRC, it would have cost about what my FW was worth to replace the roof, and that's =without= them doing any repairs that they find after the old roof is gone. IIRC, it was at least 50% more than a rubber roof. Given that you've got an orphan Cameo, I'd think long and hard about how long it's going to ultimately last before dumping that much into it. I doubt you'd recover your OOP $ on a sale, even fairly quickly afterwards. Just my $0.02...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I ask about this here before and neve4 got any replies so Iโ€™m curious to see what you find out. I had researched FlexArmorbefore I heard about the RhinonRoof stuff. I think pricing is about the same.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT