cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire and wheel temperatures

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from Myrtle beach and had something strange happen on the way back. I normally travel at night when the temperatures and traffic are lighter but this trip, I left in the afternoon. The door side tire temperature was running about 10 degrees hotter that the curb side tires, which is normal and I always thought it was due to the crown of the road placing more weight on those two tires. Never concerned me.

This trip I was in a lot of traffic with a lot of red lights and stop and go driving. Tires on the door side was about 20 degrees hotter than the curb side and then the front door side tire started rising significantly, 40 degrees within about 20 minutes of driving. We were about to get on the interstate so I decided to stop for fuel and grab a quick bite.

The front door side wheel was extremely hot and much hotter than the other wheels when comparing by feel.

everything was pointing to a dragging brake or wheel bearing. I decided to let everything cool off and jack the wheel up to make some quick checks. To my surprise, everything checked out fine.

I decided to continue and if temperature rises again to pull over and do a much thorough inspection. The rest of the trip home the front tire never got more than 2 degrees different than the rear tire. about 5 hours of traveling.

The only thing I can think of, is the exhaust from the truck was hotter than normal from the traffic and was blowing back on the tire and wheel making it hot.

just wondering what some of your thoughts are?
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4
20 REPLIES 20

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I noticed when I was pulling across Arizona was that the tires on the side that face the sun will get significantly warmer on a hot day. I realize this does not explain why one tire was hotter then the others, but may apply to what you experienced in your first paragraph.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The door side tire temperature was running about 10 degrees hotter that the curb side"

I thought the door side and curb side were one in the same???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
More likely the exhaust in spite of other comments. I have internal sensors on my trailer so they are insensitive to sun and wind effects. And in spite of the distance the ones behind the exhaust are always hotter with the front trailer tire hotter than the rear. But it also depends on which side your exhaust is at, mine is curb side, or with dual exhaust depends on wind direction. When I searched this issue I found one owner that had melted plastic trim at the lower corner of the fiver when towing during a regen cycle. I don't think a 10 degree diff really matters, worst case maybe rotate tires side to side.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking the brake was probably hung up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have that brake checked.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I personally dont think the exhaust that far away would raise the temp of your tire.

I would say the brake hung up since you where in stop and go traffic..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh