cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire wear and axles

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I had a crossroads cruiser fiver with 15" and 8 ply tires. Had several tire wear problems and had some alignment done and still was having problems. So I decided to trade and I got a new Jayco Eagle with 16" and 10 ply tires with Dexter axles. I just noticed the left rear tire seeming to be wearing on the inside but not badly yet but enough to notice. Now I estimate about 7000 miles put on the trailer since purchase. Now this is my 3rd fiver and the first one did not have any axle problems. However I was not retired yet and not doing wintering down south so I was not putting on a lot of miles and not going cross country. So I bought my second rv (cruiser) and that winter went to Florida for the winter and then the tire wear started. I get my 3rd fiver (Eagle) and winter in Arizona and Texas and put on maybe 7000 miles and the tire wear seems to be starting. I have gone into these forums and talked about axles and gotten advise from replacing axles because you don't align axles or you align axles and put on good tires. Here is the bottom line question: Is this the nature of the beast with pulling a trailer whether it is a fiver or tt, is this wear expected because of going cross country? I don't seem to hear this problem with motorhomes. I am getting the feeling that this is going to happen with trailers. I am very careful about tire pressure, I only travel down the road at 60 miles per hour, I slow way down for railroad tracks and I do not bump curbs. Any more help would be great!!!
Thanks, Bill
4 REPLIES 4

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the suspension components. The manufacturers use marginal bushings and parts. We recently upgraded all of ours to wetbolts, bronze bushing, and all of the suspension parts are greasable. Replaced the springs and axles too to fix a tire wear problem.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but a big-city suspension shop that services over the road freight trailers will have a laser setup to check the alignment of your axles. It doesn't take much out of square to drag one tire and cause uneven wear.

Also, have you had the wheels/tires balanced? Most manufacturers and dealers don't bother (It is JUST a trailer!) and uneven wear results in addition to rough ride for anything inside the trailer.
I totally agree. Don't waste your time at an RV dealer. They won't have the proper equipment or knowledge to do a COMPLETE wheel alignment. You need to have the camber, tracking and and toe adjusted. Replacing an axle is no guarantee that all will be well. Lots of new trailers come with poorly aligned wheels.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No it is not the nature of the beast

Current 5vr.....7 yrs. FT travel (over 70,000 miles on trailer) no uneven tire wear issues

Last 5vr.......15 yrs. of ownership. No uneven tire wear issues

Uneven tire wear issues:
Overloaded
out of alignment
bent axle
bad spindle
spring shackle mount/bolt bushing worn/oblong
weak spring pack

bad tires
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but a big-city suspension shop that services over the road freight trailers will have a laser setup to check the alignment of your axles. It doesn't take much out of square to drag one tire and cause uneven wear.

Also, have you had the wheels/tires balanced? Most manufacturers and dealers don't bother (It is JUST a trailer!) and uneven wear results in addition to rough ride for anything inside the trailer.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"