cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

NancyLepri
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in getting new tires for my truck and trailer. I am thinking Michelin Defenders. Don't know about what size for 5'r yet cause its in storage. Any views? Any brand? I only use it three weeks of the year and the bridgestones are cracked. I now have tire covers to help with that problem.
24 REPLIES 24

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pcaffrey wrote:
Question. my 5th has 225/75R15 D rated tires, if I go to E rated tires must I change my rims also due to more air pressure. Thanks

My Komfort was placarded for D's, but the OEM aluminum rims are rated for 80 psi. I've been running E's for 8 years now.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
My E rated tires max out at 80 psi. Your rims can't take that ?

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
pcaffrey wrote:
Question. my 5th has 225/75R15 D rated tires, if I go to E rated tires must I change my rims also due to more air pressure. Thanks

I wouldn't. But opinions vary.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Maxxis. 21,000 miles -18 months. So far, so good. Manufactured date- Feb, 2014

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NancyLepri wrote:
Oh I forgot to say its a Keystone Larodo 29.5 ft with a a GMC 2500 truck. Originally came with big snow tire looking things. Bridgestones. I have heard that the Michelins might increase my gas mileage too. Only have maybe 30,000 on them...2009

Your Laredo 29.5' trailer most likely has 15" rims with ST225/75R15D tires. Post the current trailer tire size. The LTX Defender is not the best choice of a 16" tire for a trailer. It is a heavily siped tire with breaks in the outer ribs. The Michelin XPS Rib and Bridgestore Duravis R250 are the two best 16" LRE LT's for 5200 and 6K axles.

Not many 15" LT tires to choose from.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
LSUcajun wrote:
I purchased the Goodyear G614 tires, and today I had them mounted on my rims. When I was picking them up, the service guy said I needed to bring them somewhere and have treads cut on the outer and inner edges of the tire. I did some research before purchasing them and plenty of people bragged on this tire, but nothing was ever mentioned about having them regrooved upon arrival. Is this necessary?
Thanks in advance!

Never heard of this!!!! Sounds demented to me:):):)

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
LSUcajun wrote:
I purchased the Goodyear G614 tires, and today I had them mounted on my rims. When I was picking them up, the service guy said I needed to bring them somewhere and have treads cut on the outer and inner edges of the tire. I did some research before purchasing them and plenty of people bragged on this tire, but nothing was ever mentioned about having them regrooved upon arrival. Is this necessary?
Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of it before, let alone done it. My trailer tires always age out before they wear out. I've never changed a trailer tire because of tread wear.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

LSUcajun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks in advance!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1ofmany wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
G614 "G" rated tires is my choice for the last 10years. The "G" rated replaced the "E" rated and it was equally as good.
We also went with the G614s, replacing Marathons, which we did not have good luck running. So far, we have run the G614s for over two years without incident.

X2 on G614 "G" rated tire! Going on 5 1/2yrs. with zero incidents. I also had metal stems installed:):)

NancyLepri
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I forgot to say its a Keystone Larodo 29.5 ft with a a GMC 2500 truck. Originally came with big snow tire looking things. Bridgestones. I have heard that the Michelins might increase my gas mileage too. Only have maybe 30,000 on them...2009

NancyLepri
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I am going with Michelins! I will try to run the truck more often...just hard to do when I also have a prius....

SH
Explorer
Explorer
1ofmany wrote:
We also went with the G614s, replacing Marathons, which we did not have good luck running. So far, we have run the G614s for over two years without incident.

Hard to beat the GY 614's. Don't think I would use anything else at this time. With our previous rig we had very bad luck with Marathons!

Two week old Marathon...
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
G614 "G" rated tires is my choice for the last 10years. The "G" rated replaced the "E" rated and it was equally as good.