cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Family_camping_
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys I'm new to this forum,but I have a question. I'm considering buying a 2014 Keystone Avalanche 360RB. The lady I'm buying it from bought it new and parked it permanently at a campground. Since I will be pulling it a long way I'm concerned about the road worthiness of the tires. The owner says the tires have been checked by a professional and are OK. I always replace tires every three years on my current camper to avoid problems. These will be on that borderline and I will replace soon, but a tire change is going to be difficult on the day of pickup because it will be Saturday. Just wanted some opinions on how big a chance I'll be taking pulling this camper on a ten hour trip. Thanks for your input.
9 REPLIES 9

RainbowsEnd
Explorer
Explorer
Could add TPMS before you leave, not perfect but may help?
F250 Diesel Lariat
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Old Biscuit

But Also after sitting for 3 years i'd check the Hub's, see if they are hot or not after 10 or 15 miles down the road along with the tires. Sitting for that long could have a bearing seized up or a brake as well seized up from not moving ...

If anything I would wait a day or two till you could get to a shop were they could check everything out and make sure things are ok, It's better to be safe than sorry, remember you are not the only one on the road.

I don't want to scare you but if things go bad an another vehicle is close to you not only could you screw up your new pride and joy but someone Else's day really really badly ....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That 5vr has a DRY weight of 12,725# ----2 axles with 285/80R 16 'E' tires (unknown brand)

Tires could be 3-4 yrs old...depends on when RV was mfg. Early 2014----late 2014

So crawl under and look at date code ---it will be on backside

Were tires covered?
Are they sitting on dirt, gravel, grass, concrete...sitting in water?
Was air pressure maintained or last time check was 2014?
Appearance of tires...cracks, dirty or clean?
WHO did the 'professional inspection....tire removed and broken down or some tire jock looked and said OK?

I would take my air compressor, pump them up to max sidewall psi and give it a go provided it had a spare that held air.
10 hour trip......hold speed down, stop after and 1 hour of drive time and check tires along with hubs/drums for temps
Best to use an infrared thermometer but one can use back on hand to judge.
Look for one that is hotter then rest....tire and hubs
Brakes/bearings could be issue also after just sitting for 3 yrs +

Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
3 years is overkill to me just replaced my 8 year old Michelin XPS ribs.Went with Bridgestone Darius R250's this time,hope they are good as the XPS ribs.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Well I purchased my 5er and was told he replaced tires just over 4 yrs.
headed to AZ and blew rear tire.
Americas tire replaced all 5. They were 10 and 12 yrs old.
I should have checked dates, but they looked good.
I had planed on changing in AZ, to late
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned two 5th wheels. On both I changed the tires to Michelin's prior to any towing. That's how much faith I have in tires made in China.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Family_camping_
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I feel like they will be safe but it reassuring to hear someone elses opinion.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not worry so much about being near 3 yrs old, but not rolling, being used, is not a good thing. Not a lot you can do to get them changed out on a weekend. I guess if it were me, I'd make sure they are aired properly, drive slower than normal, and visually check them anytime you stop, on the way home.

Good luck,
Jerry

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Several qualifiers (date code on tire not coach, capacity margin of tires to coach weight, brand of tires, look of tires, etc) but in general I personally wouldn't be too worried about buying a trailer with 3yr old tires and pulling it a course le times before re-tiring. Your risk not mine, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.Good luck.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK