cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow 1997 Mobile Scout with 2009 GMC D/A?

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,
My father in Law is giving up a place at the lake & will be selling his 30ft mobile scout.

The trailer has an extended hitch box, however, from a side view, the fiberglass "nose" actually protrudes approx 4" ahead of the end of the box. Of course, the nose is rounded from the center to the sides.

In short, this trailer does not have the molded in "reliefs" on front corners of trailer to facilitate a tighter turning radius.

My 09 GMC has a short bed, (6'5"), it has a standard, (non-sliding hitch). Just not sure that I can make tight enough turns (as I can with my 2010 Blue Ridge 5v). My trailer has the indented corners for tighter turning.

I am not interested in making 90dg turns, I just want to be able to move this trailer without taking out my back glass. Will be moving trailer approx 90 miles to his home for selling.

Anybody on this forum that uses this truck to pull the older Mobile Scouts with?

Thanks in advance for your help!
3 REPLIES 3

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I am not interested in making 90dg turns, I just want to be able to move this trailer without taking out my back glass. Will be moving trailer approx 90 miles to his home for selling.

Anybody on this forum that uses this truck to pull the older Mobile Scouts with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Before the hitch industry gave us the sliding hitch the vast majority of RV owners pulled their 5th wheel trailer with a short bed truck with no issues. However we paid strict attention to the back of the trucks cab.
For one 90 mile trip just pay attention and you will be fine.

You have the truck and the trailer is available for a hookup and a check on how much room between the cab and trailer. Then make your decision.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much are you going to tow it? If a lot I would buy a slider base for your hitch. Much cheaper than most deductibles for insurance. You could probably find a cheap slider on Craigslist to make due with as cheap insurance for when you tow this trailer.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GMs have the longest distance from the rear axle to back of cab. If your hitch pin center is close to axle center, you should be able to tow a straight front trailer, especially if trailer pin box extends to FW front.

Yes, you will need to be cautious, and look closely in tighter turns, until you know the limits.

My neighbor tows a square front 04 Hitch Hiker with 12 GM 6.5 bed, and has for several years. He has a non sliding B&W hitch.

Jerry