cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 5er while understanding weight issues.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We have visited this before, but now that all is dialed in, here is the run down. your comments are appreciated.
2010 GMC Sierra 4X4 extended cab short bed 3:73 6.0 gas. Manual says max trailer weight 9900 lbs., GCWR 16,000 lbs. Door sticker: 9200 GVWR, 4200 GAWR front 6084 GAWR rear. So with elimination of some tool box junk and adding fifth wheel hitch actual scale weights today with full fuel, hitch and passengers is / are: front axle 3760 lbs., rear axle 3080 lbs. for a total of 6840. tires Michelin load range E max at 80 psi of 3042 per. Now the new fifth wheel: not scaled yet: shows UVWR of 8755 and GVWR of 10475 and hitch of 1675 lbs.. It is considered a light weight, but that probably doesn't matter. with our generator 130 lbs., food clothes etc. about 500 lbs. puts us just over the limits by a couple hundred pounds.according to the provided numbers on the vehicle and trailer. if I fill water and haul some firewood we are over the numbers by about 750 lbs. Now I understand just over borderline or max, but within a year or so in hopes of upgrading tow vehicle. I hope enough info: Your thoughts, comments, etc. Thanks Jeff
16 REPLIES 16

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
As you know, you're right at the top of the capabilities of a gasoline powered truck. If you're not going to be towing very far and if you're not in too demanding of terrain, your truck will probably do the job.

You might consider switching up to a 3/4 ton diesel if you're going to be traveling farther and in rougher terrain. They're good for kingpin weights up to 2500 lbs. and a trailer in the 12K lb. range.

If you think you'll be going to a larger fifth wheel trailer, there's no replacement for a 1 ton dual rear wheel diesel.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you plan to go? I think mountain places will be difficult. Descents without a diesel exhaust brake or a tranny cooler are a concern.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States