cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy Hauler Roof Rot

bjarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I was getting ready to go on a camping trip several weeks ago when I noticed the front wall support crossmember on the frame was cracked. I had a welding shop jack the front of the trailer back to where it was level, weld the crack and install a new steel reinforcement runnning the width of the trailer. It's in having the roof recaulked and a couple tears repaired on the roof. The guy is saying there is a small area on the roof where the front cap meets that is rotted from the front wall flexing and letting water in. Apparently I have no other choice but to pull that area of roof of and replace. He said with the rot it will still flex and leak. Has anyone heard of this before?. There is no signs of water intrusion inside the rv
8 REPLIES 8

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Not bad, now just keep up the maintenance.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

bjarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I just got it back from the shop and the rot wasn't as bad as they had originally thought. They used two rolls of Eternabond tape repairing the roof edges where it had split and front/rear caps, cleaned off all the old caulking, used 6 tubes of Dicor on the front and rear caps, ladder, antennas, vent, etc. The total bill was a little over $700 with materials being $200 and labor $500 with 3.5 hours

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Step one - roof rot
Step two - floor rot

The floor rot usually follows right behind roof rot.

You will be unable to seal the roof and keep it sealed. It must be opened up and the bad wood replaced. After that you should consider using Eternabond tape.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly water intrusion is almost impossible to prevent. I suspect that the vast majority of trailers on the road have some water intrusion going on...the owners just don't know it. I also have my doubts as to whether the manufacturers actually do a thorough leak test before these units leave the factory.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

bjarnold
Explorer
Explorer
The tears were on the drivers side edge where the sidewall meets the roof

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
If you have tears in the roof, you have rot. Even though you can't see it on the inside of the trailer.

If the wood is eaten away, that area is week, so yes, I can see more "flex" happening due to rot.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

bjarnold
Explorer
Explorer
So the roof rot will not cause more "flex" in the roof?

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it happens. The most common areas for rot are the four corners of the roof due to water intrusion over time. These are the areas that require good preventative maintenance to seal any leaks. A product to use is Eternabond tape and sealant products. It will flex to prevent leaks at seams and tears once the dry rot is repaired.