cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailing behind 5th wheel

mikewats
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Fort Wilderness often during the year. I recently bought golf cart to use while we are camping there. My question is I see several 5th wheels coming thru Georgia with a trailer behind them either to haul a motorcycle or golf cart. I think Georgia law prohibits that if your are a Georgia resident. Does anyone know what the law is and if one played ignorant just wondering what the worst that could happen
Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin
22 REPLIES 22

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
...and then you get into the grey area of swivel-wheel platforms... 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
Georgia and Florida do not allow double towing with an RV.

Here is a web site showing which states allow and don't allow

Your website link is from 2009, so definitely not valid anymore.
My relative that is current LEO (highway patrol) has confirmed to me that it IS LEGAL in FL.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Bayley wrote:
Check it out but in a lot of cases if towing an extra trailer behind your 5th wheel is legal in the state where it is registered, it is legal to do it in a state that does not normally allow it.

Reciprocity applies to driver licenses, not the "rules of the road." I have to conform to the traffic laws of any state I'm traveling through - including speed limits, maximum lengths, double-towing, etc.

Maybe you'll get away with it, but maybe you won't. If you do, it's a matter of courtesy or luck.....

Rusty

Rusty is correct. Reciprocity does not apply to "safety" issues, like double towing or motorcycle helmets.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia and Florida do not allow double towing with an RV.

Here is a web site showing which states allow and don't allow
Bill and Joey the dog

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Don't know about Georgia, but Disney is in Florida and I do know about Florida. It is illegal in Florida to tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel.

Can't predict if you will get caught or not, but the Florida Highway Patrol will not ignore you.

Playing ignorant is not a good idea as it is well established that ignorance to the law is no excuse.

You can be stopped in Florida, fined, and have to un-hook the trailer. You will not be allowed to travel any further. So if you have money to burn, and don't mind leaving your trailer on the side of the road while you make other arrangements, go for it.

I travel all over FL for my profession, up and down the interstate usually. I frequently see a trailer being hauled behind a 5th wheel. The other day, I saw a motorhome pulling a box trailer and a small utility trailer attached to it. I, for one, would like to know the legal answer to this question in FL, as I'm interesting in doing exactly what the OP is saying.

***EDIT***
I just asked a family member of mine that is a Highway Patrol here in FL, and he confirmed that the law changed a few yew years back to allow for this. I think this answers the question!
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
Check it out but in a lot of cases if towing an extra trailer behind your 5th wheel is legal in the state where it is registered, it is legal to do it in a state that does not normally allow it.

Reciprocity applies to driver licenses, not the "rules of the road." I have to conform to the traffic laws of any state I'm traveling through - including speed limits, maximum lengths, double-towing, etc.

Maybe you'll get away with it, but maybe you won't. If you do, it's a matter of courtesy or luck.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about Georgia, but Disney is in Florida and I do know about Florida. It is illegal in Florida to tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel.

Can't predict if you will get caught or not, but the Florida Highway Patrol will not ignore you.

Playing ignorant is not a good idea as it is well established that ignorance to the law is no excuse.

You can be stopped in Florida, fined, and have to un-hook the trailer. You will not be allowed to travel any further. So if you have money to burn, and don't mind leaving your trailer on the side of the road while you make other arrangements, go for it.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006