cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is cheap?

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
I keep reading "stay away from the cheap RV" or "be prepared for more problems with a cheap RV". What do you guys consider a "cheap" RV? Specifically fifth wheels as that is what we are looking at. Is an MSRP around $80,000.00 or so considered a cheap fifth wheel?
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
The Carri-Lite is a great quality rig and for sure is not a cheap fiver. I really like the quality that was built into your Carriage from the frame that supports it to the great workmanship on the inside.

PS I saw a rig just like your today at Wall Drug, was that you?
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
quote:
"I don't trust the rigs that have `lite' in the model name. Something's got to be left out to save weight and extra capacity may be one of the items eg. extra capacity in the frame or walls or countertops, etc. "
unquote:

Then our 18,000 pound Carriage 5th wheel is cheap because it is called a Carri lite?
Our 5th wheel has all the bells and whistles, is very well built. Has nice counter tops, dual pane windows and double floors with double frame and lots of other stuff. Our 5th wheel cost a pretty penny. It is our 4th one and we did research on it for a year before we bought it new. This is the 2nd new 5th wheel we have bought. Had two others at the beginning that were used.
The company that built our 5th wheel closed down but not because of lack of sales but because another bank bought their bank and called everyone's loans. It was a sad day indeed when they closed down the factory. They even had their own RV park in Indiana with a nice green private park included with the RV park.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I don't trust the rigs that have `lite' in the model name. Something's got to be left out to save weight and extra capacity may be one of the items eg. extra capacity in the frame or walls or countertops, etc.

Thats true to an extent. My Winnebago Lite Five seems far better built than most other lites. Corian counter tops, far sturdier cabinets, gel coat exterior, thicker exterior storage doors etc. Trailer weighs about the same has a Heartland XLT 278 which is one foot longer and has one more slide. The Heartland is a nice decent trailer but has much lighter construction inside and out.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I would also add look at the brochure and check for what they are NOT saying. If they are not bragging on construction detail that should be a warning. I also believe in buying a high quality USED unit and avoid the high drop in value.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
If you read enough RV forums you will see that quality control is lacking in all. Regardless of price.

You will also see that most are made with "off the shelf products".
So where does the "cheap" come in.

I have never believed that high $$$ necessarily buys quality.
Take your time and look at various models after doing your homework.

Look at what quality control should have caught.
Fit, finish, gaps and material weight. Thin siding or dense.

Some people will say heaver is better. I disagree as particle board is heaver than plywood but not as strong. Ask for documentation on materials used.
Use all your senses of sight, feel, hearing, smell to give you clues.

Search for recall on the web. That will give you an idea. Look at various "owner forums". Their conversation will give you a lot of information.
DO not rush.
Good luck.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
Be sure you don't confuse lack of bling as being cheaply built.

Another good point, older units won't have all the bling of today's units, but bling frequently distracts the buyer from seeing the truth.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure you don't confuse lack of bling as being cheaply built.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bassin39 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. We are going to the RV show in Hershey in a couple of weeks. And we have already gotten prices on fivers. One was 35% off MSRP. That's what I'm aiming for on the other ones we look at.

30-35% off "MSRP" seems to be the norm across most brands. Never forget that "MSRP" can be some number that a particular dealer pull out of his nether regions. Not uncommon to find identical rigs at different dealers, thousands apart in "MSRP". So far, the only company I've found that gives you some idea of a consistent "MSRP" is Jayco, where you can build and price an RV right on their home site. Yes, "delivery", "documentation", "other b.s.", etc. are added, but you at least have a common point to start from, which most other companies don't have. Don't know of any other mfrs who have a "build and price" option on their home site; any that do also give you a baseline to work from.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bassin39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. All great advice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Cheap is a relative term. To a fellow with a $30k RV, $20k is cheap. To a fellow with a $120K RV, $100k is cheap.

Generally, a more expensive rig is heavier and better built using better materials. Some manufacturers, use the same frame and construction, just add some fancy electronics, slap on some bling, charge more and call it a high end RV.

For an example, our 5er in the signature has a 14" high powder coated frame, dual pane windows, heavier furniture, all wood cabinets, residential frig, three axles, Mor/Ryde IS suspension and the list goes on. The GVWR on the trailer is 19,000#.

Our is relatively high end, but to someone with a New Horizon or a SpaceCraft 5er, ours is a cheap RV.

Ken

Your HitchHiker Champagne "IS" high end!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap is a relative term. To a fellow with a $30k RV, $20k is cheap. To a fellow with a $120K RV, $100k is cheap.

Generally, a more expensive rig is heavier and better built using better materials. Some manufacturers, use the same frame and construction, just add some fancy electronics, slap on some bling, charge more and call it a high end RV.

For an example, our 5er in the signature has a 14" high powder coated frame, dual pane windows, heavier furniture, all wood cabinets, residential frig, three axles, Mor/Ryde IS suspension and the list goes on. The GVWR on the trailer is 19,000#.

Our is relatively high end, but to someone with a New Horizon or a SpaceCraft 5er, ours is a cheap RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, any rig that cost less than the rig the person you are talking to owns is a cheap bunch of crud. And any rig that is more expensive than their rig is a pretentious, overpriced, ego driven purchase not worth anywhere close to the amount they are selling for.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
I agree with several comments, there is no guarantee of a good unit at any price. Good quality and bad quality co-exist at any price point. And they co-exist from the same manufacturer with higher priced units actually worse quality than lower priced units.

Best advise for a newbie, buy a used unit rather than new. And don't buy from a dealer, they don't know the history of a trade-in and don't care. Either buy an inexpensive used unit to get your feet wet, any brand. Or buy a used high end unit, New Horizon, DRV, Carriage, etc.

Very good advise.
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with several comments, there is no guarantee of a good unit at any price. Good quality and bad quality co-exist at any price point. And they co-exist from the same manufacturer with higher priced units actually worse quality than lower priced units.

Best advise for a newbie, buy a used unit rather than new. And don't buy from a dealer, they don't know the history of a trade-in and don't care. Either buy an inexpensive used unit to get your feet wet, any brand. Or buy a used high end unit, New Horizon, DRV, Carriage, etc.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos