Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Advice

Noles17
Explorer
Explorer
Evening all,

I am looking for a little truck advice. I currently have a travel trailer and am looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel by the end of the year. My current truck, Ram 2500 with 5.7, won't pull the fiver so obviously I am going to upgrade there as well.

The 5th wheel we are looking at weighs around 15.5K lbs. I understand that I need a 1 ton, or its just the better option, but I do not want this size truck as my daily driver anymore. I am considering getting something to have as a utility truck and just to pull the 5th wheel. Any recommendations for under 20K? I am seeing a good bit of options in a F350, around 2004 or 2005 model years, with under 100K miles.

What are your thoughts?
30 REPLIES 30

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
2004 05 Ford diesels will be the dreaded 6.0. That is the reason there so cheap. The motor is basically junk. What you will need for a 15K fiver in an older truck will be a dually. Nothing less is going to comfortably handle that much fiver.

What he said.

However the motor isn't junk - just Ford's refusal to use aftermarket fixes for head gaskets & studs. Repeated failures!

Folks that got "buy-backs", and engine replacements were often two-time losers and would see their old truck on the dealer's used car lot..:(

Diesel shop close by had 6.0s out of warranty lined up ten deep (really!) for engine "fixits"! - But NO 7.3's.

Suggest you visit the dedicated diesel forums for Chevy/GMC, Ford, and Dodge. No "brand bashers" there - just info.

They all have sections for the various years, drive trains, etc.

Good, Bad, & Ugly.....
Pay close attention to the *problems* owners are asking for help with - how solved, etc.

Agree, for what you wish to tow - a dually is what you will need....or downsize the 5th.

Pretty tough to beat a Dodge CTD - but for older p/ups a manual trans would be my choice. (47RE was *not* a dependable auto).

Good luck - good trucks are in high demand - no matter what brand!

~

andy431
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet for a good pulling truck for your er would be an Ford 250 or 350 turbo diesel.

I have a 2016 Dutchman Denali 38ft if pull my 1999 F250 super duty 7.3 turbo diesel, with no problems at all..

Look around you may find a good deal for a good price.

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
if you want to go Ford, highly consider the V10 F350 DRW as a viable option as well. The 6.0 is like playing Russian roulette.....

I don't own a gas station, Thank you.

If your thinking Ford go with the 6.7 Powerstroke mine pulls my 11480 lb 5th wheel like it's nothing along with getting 11.8 to 12.2 MPG .

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
if you want to go Ford, highly consider the V10 F350 DRW as a viable option as well. The 6.0 is like playing Russian roulette.....

I don't own a gas station, Thank you.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If your having thoughts of the Fords, pick up a June 2017 issue of Diesel World as it has the woes listed for the 6.0 and the 6.4. Now they need to do a story to be fair, on the Cummins and the Duramax.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

53_willys
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2001 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 never had a problem with it ran well pulled our 31' 5th wheel very nicely. We just bought a new 2016 Ford F-350 Lariat 4x4 with the 6.7 and it's also a very nice . It's all a **** shoot on witch brand you buy, I think preventative maintenance is the key, you can't drive them like you stole it and expect it to last for ever. I've owned Chevy trucks and have driven many Dodge trucks at work I just prefer the Ford over the other two brands .

gar_fanatic
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:

Good point! We had an 02 f250 SRW with the v10 and it pulled our 30 foot wilderness quite well. Then we found the 04 and couldn't pass it up.
Me, my DH, my DD (15) and DS (11)
In the market for a new rig.
'07 Ford F-550 crew cab 6.0L PowerStroke diesel "the haulin hawg"
Farmers-Working hard now to play hard later
:W

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
So basically stay away from Fords from late 2003-2010 which is the reign of the 6.0 and the 6.4 either one of which you MIGHT get a good one but odds aren't in your favor!! The 5.9 Cummins is a good choice, not sure on the GM but even a GM would be a better choice than the Fords of the yrs I mentioned. Obviously I'm not a GM person but I think as some have mentioned there are some good yrs to choose from.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

gar_fanatic
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby is a Ford guy, so I cannot speak for anything else. We love our Fords, even the "dreaded" 6.0 liter. My hubby is a mechanic before becoming a farmer, so weve bought an 04 and 07 that had engine problems when we bought them. We fixed them up, and sold the 04 after 7 years of enjoyment. The 07 F550 was a company owned rig that had been abused. We've done the motor, transmission and transfer case, but we're sure it's all good now.

My hubby said to stay far away from the 6.4L. They were worse than the 6.0.

Now for the good.... we LOVE any ford truck with the 7.3L available in older fords. Our 96 has over 300,000 miles and we haven't had any major problems in the last 125,000 miles we've had it. If you want reliability you can't go wrong for with one with a 7.3L, which stopped production in mid-03.

Bottom line, if you find an EARLY 2003 Ford or older in good shape don't worry if it has higher miles. Check the engine size under the hood. If you really want a Ford 2003 or newer, have it checked out by a GOOD mechanic skilled in FORD TRUCKS. Many regular mechanics do not know the nuances of the 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7. Good luck in your search!
Me, my DH, my DD (15) and DS (11)
In the market for a new rig.
'07 Ford F-550 crew cab 6.0L PowerStroke diesel "the haulin hawg"
Farmers-Working hard now to play hard later
:W

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 06 f250 with the 6.0 for 8 years. I just sold it a few months ago. I had over 10k in the motor, I have a Duramax now and will never own another Ford.

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased an '05 F250 with the 6.0. It was supposed to have been 'fixed'. $5K in repairs in 1.5 years. I would avoid!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
md_procouple wrote:
We have had our 2006 F-350 for 4 yrs, (dreaded 6.0, as one person stated) and never encountered a problem. We pull our Montana without any problems. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

Keep your fingers crossed and your wallet full.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
consider class 8 bobtail tractor