cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Point Pin Box questions

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going to a FW after years TT experience. The unit we’re looking at has a Lippert Turning Point pin box and I’m looking for recommendations on a hitch that will work with this setup. The FW is just under 9 K lbs and 34 feet long. My TV is a 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas 6.0. The truck does not have the factory puck system. I would like an under bed rail installation allowing the bed no obstructions when hitch is removed.
Can anyone recommend a hitch ? I’m planning to visit my local truck accessories center for the hitch and rails installation. I understand the Turning Point can be locked out to be more like a conventional pin box but I’d like to know before buying the wrong hitch if that’s the best way to go or just get the right hitch that works with the Turning Point from the start.
Thanks in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
laknox wrote:

I've had a TO Ball/Companion combo since 2004. Not once have I had any movement of my Companion, towing or not. Would I love to have a Companion on pucks? Hell yeah, but that pesky $80 grand for a new truck sorta gets in the way...

Lyle

Hey Lyle...first off, you don't need all the bells, electronic gadgets, etc. You could easily go get a new 3500 SRW, with what you actually need/use for a mere 50-60K. :C

Jerry

Diesel, 4x4, crew cab? Sure be nice...Dad! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:

I've had a TO Ball/Companion combo since 2004. Not once have I had any movement of my Companion, towing or not. Would I love to have a Companion on pucks? Hell yeah, but that pesky $80 grand for a new truck sorta gets in the way...

Lyle

Hey Lyle...first off, you don't need all the bells, electronic gadgets, etc. You could easily go get a new 3500 SRW, with what you actually need/use for a mere 50-60K. :C

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
Here are some hitches you can't use: Andersen, Pullrite Super Lite, B&W companion with turnover ball mount. Someone may comment if you can add factory pucks. If so, the Companion for the puck system would be a good choice. I would stay clear of all single point attachment hitches with a gooseneck ball mount as they may rotate in the bed some.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen many people here (and elsewhere) allude to aftermarket puck kits that can be installed if you don't have OEM pucks. The upside to pucks is that some hitches, B&W Companion for one, actually give you a higher rating with pucks than with their Turnover Ball. For me, I have a GN trailer, so needed the GN, thus giving me dual hitching capability. Not sure if there is an aftermarket GN kit that's a replacement for the OEM GN prep. Yes, B&W makes the TO Ball and there have been various other kits (I had a folding ball years before I got my FW; it sucked), but as for a straight OEM replacement, I've not seen or heard about one.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

I use a Pullrite Superglide with the super rails. Once you remove the hitch out of the bed, you pull 4 lock pins and remove those.
Once removed the super rails lift up and you remove them, leaving 4 pins through the bed , hooked into the frame rail.
Twist those 4 pins about 1/2 turn and they lift up...

You then have a completely empty bed.

I have been using this type of hitch since 2007, and replaced my old one with the one I have now in March of 2018..

And Pullrite is awesome to deal with.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some hitches you can't use: Andersen, Pullrite Super Lite, B&W companion with turnover ball mount. Someone may comment if you can add factory pucks. If so, the Companion for the puck system would be a good choice. I would stay clear of all single point attachment hitches with a gooseneck ball mount as they may rotate in the bed some.