cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Point Pin Box questions

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of going to a FW after years TT experience. The unit we’re looking at has a Lippert Turning Point pin box and I’m looking for recommendations on a hitch that will work with this setup. The FW is just under 9 K lbs and 34 feet long. My TV is a 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas 6.0. The truck does not have the factory puck system. I would like an under bed rail installation allowing the bed no obstructions when hitch is removed.
Can anyone recommend a hitch ? I’m planning to visit my local truck accessories center for the hitch and rails installation. I understand the Turning Point can be locked out to be more like a conventional pin box but I’d like to know before buying the wrong hitch if that’s the best way to go or just get the right hitch that works with the Turning Point from the start.
Thanks in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
20 REPLIES 20

MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"at 55 Im only a spring chicken compared to a lot here..."

Dang, that hurt a little.

Ya, ouch! I retired at 58, not last year. There is a pic of me by my dirt bike, on page 2 on the motorcycle thread, in the around campfire forum. I challenge Ford truck guy, and my forum friend Lyle to post their recent picture. You are as young as you look/feel, IMO. To be fair, my pic is from Spring 18. How about Ron wearing his B&W cap?

Not trying to hijack, as the OP got his answer, and has not come back. The forums can use a little fun activity this time of year.

Jerry

start a thread and I'm in.... :C
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ya, ouch! I retired at 58, not last year. There is a pic of me by my dirt bike, on page 2 on the motorcycle thread, in the around campfire forum. I challenge Ford truck guy, and my forum friend Lyle to post their recent picture. You are as young as you look/feel, IMO. To be fair, my pic is from Spring 18. How about Ron wearing his B&W cap?

Not trying to hijack, as the OP got his answer, and has not come back. The forums can use a little fun activity this time of year.

Jerry

Cummins12V98 wrote:

come on , your only a semi old man ! :B :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, a thread runs off the rails as two members dual it out...

Sorry OP

I have a 2017 Chevy 2500 short bed with a B & W TO ball plus the Companion. Our 5er has the Turning Point pin box. We keep it locked as if a standard pin box. No issues at all when making sharp turns, but always be mindful when doing such maneuvering on uneven terrain (with any hitch and pin box combo).

I’m sure you could change the pin box to something else, but you would have to remove the lower nose cover on mine to do so, since I only have access to the bottom bolts. But quite frankly, I don’t see a need to with my current rig and setup. No chucking and the ride is soft.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

My fatherly advice, is more about practicality, than dollars spent! While I have never been left, wanting for much, most of my adult life, I've never purposely purchased extras on a vehicle, that I'd never use. I've purchased 8 new trucks, off the lot, some fancier than I needed, but got a great deal. The Ford XLT, that I have now, my 9th new truck, is the only one I ordered. It has some handy things, the computer stuff, the steering wheel controls, including hands free phone button.

BTW...as to Dad, not knowing your age, I'm guessing you meant brother, likely younger brother. :C

Jerry

Yes ,the XLT would be my choice after having most of the bells ,and whistles on this 2014 Ram Laramie. The leather or whatever you want to call it interior is not for me. My previous truck was a Ford Superduty XLT, loved that truck. If ,and when I buy a new truck, and its a big if, it will be the Ford again.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you've been hijacked.

From LPI website;Cl;icky link

**Note: Please refer to hitch manufacturer’s
instructions regarding the compatibility
with the Lippert Turning Point Pin Box.
Not all hitches are designed to accept a
wedge block that relocates the pivot point.**

Now on page 4 and 5 in the clicky shows the different wedge blocks required for different hitch brands. The slot in a 5th wheel hitch top plate isn't the same exact width so ya' gotta' have the correct wedge plates to for every thing to work right.
Looks like you have some leg work checking with each hitch mfg for their input.
Lots of you tubes on the turning point pin box system. Most I saw were using a PullRite conventional hitch with 4 in the bed pucks for the rails or std rails.
Check out some you tubes.

Which brand hitch for the turning point pin box system ??? Pick 3-4 hitch brands you like and contact each hitch maker for their recommendations.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

I think I may also fall into the younger brother category, at 55 Im only a spring chicken compared to a lot here...

Either way, I agree with my older bro and usually don't go all out.... BUT, this time I dd and splurged for the platinum.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:

Diesel, 4x4, crew cab? Sure be nice...Dad! :B

Lyle

My fatherly advice, is more about practicality, than dollars spent! While I have never been left, wanting for much, most of my adult life, I've never purposely purchased extras on a vehicle, that I'd never use. I've purchased 8 new trucks, off the lot, some fancier than I needed, but got a great deal. The Ford XLT, that I have now, my 9th new truck, is the only one I ordered. It has some handy things, the computer stuff, the steering wheel controls, including hands free phone button.

BTW...as to Dad, not knowing your age, I'm guessing you meant brother, likely younger brother. :C

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
laknox wrote:

I've had a TO Ball/Companion combo since 2004. Not once have I had any movement of my Companion, towing or not. Would I love to have a Companion on pucks? Hell yeah, but that pesky $80 grand for a new truck sorta gets in the way...

Lyle

Hey Lyle...first off, you don't need all the bells, electronic gadgets, etc. You could easily go get a new 3500 SRW, with what you actually need/use for a mere 50-60K. :C

Jerry

On the Ford Build and price site -
Basic, 2020 -Crew Cab, 4X4 , 6.7, LB, SRW, 5ver prep kit, XLT package

MSRP is-$60,485.00.. less incentives, and dealer deduction... No reason to believe that cant be had for under 50k

OK, step-dad. You and Dad can split one for me! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
laknox wrote:
Durb wrote:
Here are some hitches you can't use: Andersen, Pullrite Super Lite, B&W companion with turnover ball mount. Someone may comment if you can add factory pucks. If so, the Companion for the puck system would be a good choice. I would stay clear of all single point attachment hitches with a gooseneck ball mount as they may rotate in the bed some.

I've had a TO Ball/Companion combo since 2004. Not once have I had any movement of my Companion, towing or not. Would I love to have a Companion on pucks? Hell yeah, but that pesky $80 grand for a new truck sorta gets in the way...

Lyle

Did you use your Companion with a Sidewinder or Turning point hitch with a lock-out capture plate? B&W specifically says to not use the turnover ball hitch for these applications in their instructions. Their rule, not mine. You can access the instruction manual on their website.

I have only ever had standard pin boxes, so, no. I did call B&W and ask about this, though, and they stated that ONLY the TO Ball mounted Companions were subject to the "rule" about not using a Sidewinder, etc., pin box; puck mounted Companions were safe to use with those types of pin boxes. B&W's # is (800) 810-4918.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Hey Lyle...first off, you don't need all the bells, electronic gadgets, etc. You could easily go get a new 3500 SRW, with what you actually need/use for a mere 50-60K. :C

Jerry

On the Ford Build and price site -
Basic, 2020 -Crew Cab, 4X4 , 6.7, LB, SRW, 5ver prep kit, XLT package

MSRP is-$60,485.00.. less incentives, and dealer deduction... No reason to believe that cant be had for under 50k
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Durb wrote:
Here are some hitches you can't use: Andersen, Pullrite Super Lite, B&W companion with turnover ball mount. Someone may comment if you can add factory pucks. If so, the Companion for the puck system would be a good choice. I would stay clear of all single point attachment hitches with a gooseneck ball mount as they may rotate in the bed some.

Lyle

Did you use your Companion with a Sidewinder or Turning point hitch with a lock-out capture plate? B&W specifically says to not use the turnover ball hitch for these applications in their instructions. Their rule, not mine. You can access the instruction manual on their website.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm assuming you have a short bed truck.

If you happen to have a long bed, I would get rid of that Lippert Turning Point and get a conventional pinbox. It will bolt right in.

If you have a short bed, chances are good the answer would be the same. Assuming the fiver has clipped front corners as most do these days.

Once you are rid of the LTP pin box, the hitch world is your oyster.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver