cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Upgrade, Hitch question: What would you do?

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have a 2018 RAM 2500 Short Bed.
Hitch is a BW Patriot Slider.
Currently mounted on rails.

I am upgrading to a 2021 RAM 3500 with Puck System in bed.
Contacted BW about a puck adapter.
Unfortunately, they do not have one for the Patriot.
Only for the Companion.
The BW Rep did say "they" make a frame type adapter that will fit the Patriot, but it sets up high enough that the hitch won't slide.
When I asked who "they" are, he replied Demco and maybe Reese.

The 3500 is a long bed, so I really shouldn't need to slide the hitch any longer. I certainly would prefer to use the pucks rather than have rails installed.
Any negative thoughts on installing the Demco adapter?
I'm in no hurry. No trips planned until Spring.
10 REPLIES 10

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goosebox hitch and sell the equipment that you currently have.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would get an air ride hitch

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
Agree on getting a new hitch that fits your pucks. I looked at using an "adapter" with my old Superglide and the Pullrite salesman talked me out of it. He said it would be safe, but would add "slop" into the connection and raise the hitch at least another inch. These newer trucks are already too high to begin with (but that's a topic for another thread).

Baloney , no slop in the adapter , yes you would have slop in the hitch the same if you had slop connected to standard bed rails . If thatโ€™s the case than any hitch connected to the pucks would have slop .

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on getting a new hitch that fits your pucks. I looked at using an "adapter" with my old Superglide and the Pullrite salesman talked me out of it. He said it would be safe, but would add "slop" into the connection and raise the hitch at least another inch. These newer trucks are already too high to begin with (but that's a topic for another thread).
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When installing that nice new hitch be sure to place the side supports closest to the cab with the straight edge towards cab also. This will place the center of the kingpin forward of center of rear axle allowing some weight to transfer to the front axle.

Good call going to a LongBed truck!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I mentioned on the other thread sell what you have on CL. You will have no problem selling it for a good price. Now buy the proper hitch for your Nice new trucks puck system.

If you want a top quality tool box the HighwayProducts pictured can't be beat.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
If it were ME, I'd sell everything and put the money towards. brand spankin new B&W Companion OEM Puck...

What ^^^he^^^ said! My brother was in the same boat and was able to recover about 1/3 the cost of the new hitch from selling his old Companion.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
New truck = new hitch! Get what works with the puck system instead of "modifying" the old hitch.
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
If it were ME, I'd sell everything and put the money towards. brand spankin new B&W Companion OEM Puck...

Since I have some time, I think this is what I am leaning toward.
Since the Puck Frame is not specific to the Patriot, think I'd feel better with one that was made for the hitch and the truck.
Thanks,

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet