Video of why 1/2 tons shouldn’t tow 5th wheels

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
19 REPLIES 19

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Why do we keep hearing the same old tired statement that 5er's are ALWAYS going to be 20% to 25% pin weight?"

Because most 5th wheels do have pin weights in the 20%-25% range?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
OK, first off...
I'm not a fan of half-tons towing 5er's. Like a political stance...you're not going to change my mind on that

Next...
I don't like this guys videos because he mainly just talks to talk, and you never see his face. Can't trust someone that's afraid to show their face LOL

But really...
Why do we keep hearing the same old tired statement that 5er's are ALWAYS going to be 20% to 25% pin weight? Maybe that's true for some models, and perhaps it was a good rule of thumb 10-20 years ago. But you see what they're doing with 5er's now...the way they move the axles forward? That's how they're making these things theoretically "half-ton" towable. But for such an "expert", why does this guy choose to make such statements when you can go straight to the manufacturer's website and see that the reported pin weight is 1,443 pounds?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
A salesperson at an RV dealer who is honest,,,,,
Whodathunkit?

Wow, x2! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A salesperson at an RV dealer who is honest,,,,,
Whodathunkit?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad