cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voided warranty

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at a new 5th wheel. It did not have disk brakes so we asked about installing disk brakes on this unit before we took delivery. The mgr. said it would VOID the warranty. How crazy is that? Why would better brakes void the factory warranty??
38 REPLIES 38

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
Void what warranty? The axle, yes it may. The AC, no it shouldn't. Remember the normal warranty is only 1 year - but almost all the individual parts of the trailer have their own individual warranty's. So at worst case you take delivery, and upgrade the brakes next spring - once the warranty is gone.

Not meaning the accessories like AC and things.
Things like the frame cracking. The sidwalls cracking/delaming.
Things that were "engineered" for that unit.
If they weren't engineered to be on it, the manufacturer holds the cards when it comes to their warranty.
I suppose you could challenge them and make them prove it was the fault of disks being added, but it's only a year warranty.

Sort of like don't chip your diesel truck and expect the warranty to cover a blown head gasket when they see that you've chipped it.
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
But if its the right 5th wheel than what the deal if its drums or disc brakes, most never need new brakes over its lifetime and I bet it stops the same.
Ohhh noooo!! Never intimate that drum brakes are anywhere near as good as discs, you'll bring out the disc brake people to beat their drums, pun intended. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
But if its the right 5th wheel than what the deal if its drums or disc brakes, most never need new brakes over its lifetime and I bet it stops the same.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Void what warranty? The axle, yes it may. The AC, no it shouldn't. Remember the normal warranty is only 1 year - but almost all the individual parts of the trailer have their own individual warranty's. So at worst case you take delivery, and upgrade the brakes next spring - once the warranty is gone.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
It is the manufacturer who would void the warranty. The unit's frame and body was designed by engineers for use with drum brakes not disk brakes.
If they have a model (like Jayco's Designer) that has a disk brake option then you could get the disk option.
Don't even waste your time calling. I've been through it.
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It's as good excuse as any to avoid installing the brakes. Maybe they just don't want to do the job, and that's the easiest way to get out of it and still make the sale.
Don't know, but I rather doubt that. Most dealers would welcome the extra $$$ to be made. Up charge on parts and of course the labor charges.:@

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the manufacturer and ask they why the warranty be voided. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It's as good excuse as any to avoid installing the brakes. Maybe they just don't want to do the job, and that's the easiest way to get out of it and still make the sale.

Nope, not happening, not without disc brakes.....

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"