cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washer/Dryer worth it?

keh3491
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I will be purchasing our first 5th wheel soon and going full time. I hear the washer in dryers are pretty small and some people say that’s just an extra thing to keep up with and that could go wrong. It’s just the two of us and our pets so I may do about two loads of laundry a week in a full size washer/dryer. Any one ever had issues with there’s? We are looking to buy a Keystone Montana; either 2019 or new.
34 REPLIES 34

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We've been full timing for over 11 years. I always resisted a washer/dryer for the storage loss but when we bought our 2018 Landmark, we added them and my wife is very happy. Enough said...
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those that don’t want them don’t have them. Get something like ours and you will never be without.

Same goes for a dish washer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We have the GE Spacesaver (washer and dryer), though they are quite old. We love them! Capacity is about 2/3’s of our home units, they are very quiet, virtually zero vibration, and both the washer and the dryer do a great job. As stated, these are old ......I don’t know if the newer (outsourced products) are as good! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2000 Newmar with twin stacker (splendid) works great. no problem in 20 years.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stacked Maytag W/D in our 5th wheel and use it anytime we are at a full hook up site. We do use the laundry facilities at some parks if they appear to be well maintained. But mostly use our W/D. They are apartment sized units but do a good job on the dirty laundry for the two of us.

Like others we wouldn't have an RV without them if the space is available.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We made it 14 months of fulltiming as a family of 4 before we got a Splendide Combo washer/dryer. I can't believe we waited that long! We run it regularly, even when we don't have sewer. I just make a trip to the dump station after running it.

The biggest issue people have is they buy the ventless models. They have very long dry times and clothes often end up wrinkly.

And yes, the load sizes are smaller. But we do just fine in our family and we mostly only wear clothing a single time before we wash it.

More info and installation pics:
https://learntorv.com/clothing-washer-dryer/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

We tossed around the idea, but storage is at a premium so DW elected to adopt the " wait and see" attitude.

We are only weekend warriors with usually 1 trip for 2 weeks in the summer so it really does not make sense to me...

** BUT I will refer to the following statement - - " A HAPPY WIFE = A HAPPY LIFE" . . If and when DW decides she wants one, we'll have one.

** disclaimer.. I told her a washer and dryer will ONLY go in if a new truck is towing the added pin weight ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on if you dry camp/boondock much. If you do I’d say no.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
We would rather have access to multiple machines and be done in an hour. The washer/dryer space in the 5th wheel is great storage space.

Although we don't full time, thats kind of how we look at it. Our washer ,and dryer would be in the closest, as you go in the entry door, on our Montana fifth wheel, so nearly over the axles, so it wouldn't be like some up in the bedroom closest adding pin weight.

Spending 2-4 months in ours a year ,my wife didn't want the onboard washer ,and dryer. This year we will probably be out more like 5 months.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
At a sticks and bricks home there is room for storage, so loads may be done when there is a full load.

Storage is a BIG issue in all rv's. I'd be tempted to have a washer/drier combo. Then that favorite shirt can be washed. Loads are quite small.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our DRV came with Whirlpool Apartment size side by sides. The Washer was a Chinese POS. Dumped it after a year and went with the BOSCH 500 series 220V washer. The US Made 220V Whirlpool dryer has been great with full time use for 4.5 years. The BOSCH is VERY nice!!!

We will NEVER be without a WD again in a RV. Surprising capacity!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a combo unit and it is so convenient.
I really love it.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
keh3491 wrote:
My husband and I will be purchasing our first 5th wheel soon and going full time. I hear the washer in dryers are pretty small and some people say that’s just an extra thing to keep up with and that could go wrong. It’s just the two of us and our pets so I may do about two loads of laundry a week in a full size washer/dryer. Any one ever had issues with there’s? We are looking to buy a Keystone Montana; either 2019 or new.

Most of the larger Montana are pin heavy and a W/D add more weight. So you need a duallie pickup for sure. the 3854BR has a dry pin weight of 2940 and will be out of SRW 350/3500 range when loaded for full timing.

Most full timers run an on-board W/D almost every day.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We would rather have access to multiple machines and be done in an hour. The washer/dryer space in the 5th wheel is great storage space.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a Splendide vented combo and DW would not be without it. Although she occasionally uses the park laundry if she has a particularly large load, she would much rather use her own.
With the combo, the loads are somewhat small, but she can set it to wash AND dry, put in a load of laundry, we leave to do whatever we want, and come back later to a clean dry load. And repeat if necessary. Better than sitting around a laundry waiting for the washers and dryers to do their thing.