Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump psi

Trailerlivin777
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

New here. My water pump died (it was an old sureflo) my dad has a brand new freshwater diaphragm water pump but it’s rated for 160PSI. (Which is obviously too high)
I do have a brand new water pressure regulator still in the box...

My question is:
Can I hook up his 160psi water pump and use my pressure regulator to dial it in to 40psi? Or do I HAVE to buy a new water pump?

Funds are tight these days.

Thanks!!
9 REPLIES 9

Trailerlivin777
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I agree that the flow rate seems very low. I don't think I would use it but would get one like the one you already have.
Barney

Right and I understand this. But as I stated in my OP money is tight and I won’t have money to buy a new one for at least 2 weeks when my next check comes and I don’t currently have running water.

My shower head now runs at 1.5gpm max anyway.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that the flow rate seems very low. I don't think I would use it but would get one like the one you already have.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Trailerlivin777
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The rated flow is 1.8 gpm vs the 3 gpm of the Sureflow pump that I have. So water flow will be low, you might have a problem with your shower flow. That sureflow is a diaphram pump too but it has a built in bypass. That pump you have seems to be designed as a sprayer pump, notice that it is not in the automotive area of amazon where the RV equipment is found.

It may work try piping it up outside the RV to the regulator and see if it works. If you are on city water do you even need a water pump?

My shower head is rated at 1.5gpm low flow if that helps.
No I have a rain/snow catchment system that runs to IBC water totes. I’m several hundred yards from my dads house I’ve got 12v solar that use for anything low power draw. And I have a 100A power pole that my dad had to run custom for me a while back.

Ok I’ll give that a try

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d put the org set up back in, things could happen .

Trailerlivin777
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
Does your old water pump still run but does not pump water? If so it's an easy fix with ***Link Removed*** new pump head.

Pressure sure it’s completely fried or something (it was really old) it makes no noise or click or any signs of life at all.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rated flow is 1.8 gpm vs the 3 gpm of the Sureflow pump that I have. So water flow will be low, you might have a problem with your shower flow. That sureflow is a diaphram pump too but it has a built in bypass. That pump you have seems to be designed as a sprayer pump

It may work try piping it up outside the RV to the regulator and see if it works. If you are on city water do you even need a water pump?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Does your old water pump still run but does not pump water? If so it's an easy fix with this new pump head.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Trailerlivin777
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
What is the amperage draw on that 160 psi pump and is it 12V. And can that diaphragm pump deal with a cut off head, meaning it is pumping against a closed valve. Positive displacement pumps can have problems in that case.

Amperage draw is 0.8-1.5 it’s actually a 120v (I’m stationary I don’t travel at all with this trailer and regularly use a power pole next to my trailer)

I’m not sure about the other questions you asked (he bought it a few months ago for another project) I looked it up on amazon here’s the link to the exact one he has. I just need running water again until I have the money to spare on a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B4XYX1L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1A4WAEGJNR9ED&psc=1

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the amperage draw on that 160 psi pump and is it 12V. And can that diaphragm pump deal with a cut off head, meaning it is pumping against a closed valve. Positive displacement pumps can have problems in that case.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper