cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterproofing the 1/8" thick exposed plywood

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
On the inside wall area of the outside kitchen, pass though storage compartment and propane tank areas of my 5th Wheel, there is exposed plywood or paneling type material. The most concerning would be where the propane tanks are mounted because it's open underneath and spray will get in there if traveling when it's raining or there's wet roads. Sooner rather than later it will rot. I'd like to avoid that before it starts. Any ideas what I should do to protect it?

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
21 REPLIES 21

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to recommend Flex Seal as well. I had some framing under the slide in our TT that was wrapped with Darco...water got in, couldn't get out, and the wood rotted. When I rebuilt the floor I sprayed the replacement lumber with Flex Seal and it's help up great for 7+ years.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I decided to take a combined opinion approach. I bought a pint can of Flex Seal Liquid and will be painting it on. Hopefully it will last since it won't be exposed to UV rays and weather unless as I mentioned I'm traveling down the road during rain. It's an inexpensive repair and I can always go over it each year.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was going to suggest brush on polyurethane or some sealer like that, but I think MFL's suggestion of painting it would be just as good. It seems to work on house siding, right?

CC

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not use duct sealant? It's thick, sticks to ANYTHING, pliable (stretches), and weatherproof. Brush it on. Water clean-up. I used under my trailer where the tire blew a hole in my heater ducting. It holds up WELL.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a few unfinished plywood edges, a bit thicker than that, underneath my propane and pass through areas, that I just primed/painted. It has stayed sealed, no issue for years. I used a brush, so no mess or over spray.

Jerry

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
They still sell "undercoating" in spray cans at auto parts stores. Not a good as bedliner, but it will do in a pinch.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch. That is not good.
I think the best way is to have it and rthe surounding area sprayed with bedliner.
Next best would be the DIY bedliner in a can. I have done a wood floor in a cargo trailer with it, and it worked great,,, But since you are working upside down, I think it would be hard to do a good job. Perhaps they make that stuff in a spray can now? Whatever you do, wear PPE! eyes, and breathing protection!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW