cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to DMV for a FW endorsement and got class A instead

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to California DMV in Fresno today to take the written test to get my Recreational Fifth Wheel Endorsement. I was expecting to take multiple tests.

Instead, they issued me a class A. I do not know if it is commercial or non-commercial because all it says is A.

No tests, not even a vision test. No medical questionnaire.

No fee.

Can't wait to see what my actual license will say when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps in the future DMV is going to want me to retake the test and also get a physical. I so look forward to that time.:B
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch
29 REPLIES 29

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
Sad the CA DMV hasn't changed much in 50 years. I took one of the first motorcycle written tests handed out in Orange County in 1967. The questions made no sense at all, the clerk even apologized for it.
I would not be too anxious to use your license, if you didn't perform all the required test and or paperwork they could rescind it anytime.
Good luck.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins is correct and on point. My license read as his, so I don't know what happen with your test but you have it.
G.H.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CumminsDriver wrote:
In order to get the Non Commercial A license in California you must take the written test and pass, schedule an appointment at one of the Commercial DMV Test Facilities for the Non Commercial A driving test which includes a pre-trip inspection, skills test, and a driving test with a 5th wheel exceeding 15,000 GVWR or travel trailer exceeding 10,000 GVWR and pass all the tests. They will not test you with a 5th wheel that has less than 15k GVWR or travel trailer less than 10,000 GVWR. You must also fill out the medical questionnaire and have it on file with the DMV. If you do not have a valid medical questionnaire on file your drivers license reverts back to the basic Class C license.

The front of my Non Commercial A license says Class AM1. The back says "Restrictions: 71-CL. May only tow non-CDL single trlrs."

Rich

You are correct - EXCEPT you are not taking Murphy's Law into consideration - - regarding the CA DMV.

When I went to "update" my Class C to include "Restriction 41" for
5th wheels between 10K and 15 k, the DMV had no clue what it was.
Gal at the Info Desk said there was no such thing - until I showed her the CA DL info for it.

Go to the window as directed - the test they gave me was for MHs. Told them that's incorrect, and they finally got it right - the 25 question test for restriction 41.

Easy test - when it was completed and the clerk scored my 100%, he was typing up my new temp license - and said something like, "Oh you need to bring in your medical certification".

At that point, I looked at what he was about to issue me - A Non-Commercial Class A license!!

I probably should have let him do that, brought in a med cert, and had a "no driving test" Class A Non Com DL.

However, I told him I did NOT want a Non-commercial Class A - explained (again) what an Endorsement 41 was.
(I had a Commercial DL in the past - didn't need that one anymore either)

He then tore up the Temp - and got it right.

BUT - the DMV did not error with/for Pop - most likely, he does NOT have a NON-Commercial Class A.

IF he applied for a restriction 41, the back of his
Driver's License will state:

"Restrictions: 41-Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs GVWR".

Note - 41-Class A - etc.

BTW - If he wasn't due for renewal (of his Class C) within 6 months, there is no vision test (or other test/s) required.
However, they should have had him take the 25 question test.

Most likely - they weren't aware of the test and/or interpreted the update rules as: "No other tests required"..:h

No big deal - the 25 Q test could be passed by a skateboarder!..:B

BTW - Most DMV tests are pretty much "slam dunk".
However, if you take the written to renew your M1 (Motorcycle) - be sure to read the DMV handbook - whoever wrote the test has never been on two wheels! Answer by what *it* (the book) says regarding "situations", not what you know from riding experience..:W

:C

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

I thought the Noncommercial Class A license required a driving test too. I wonder if the requirements changed, or did you just get lucky?

Yeah, you sure you didn't just get your non-com Class A permit? That's how it works here in PA, you walk in, fill out application and receive permit. Then you need to schedule the driving portion (and pass) to get the actual license.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A commercial license will state Commercial Drivers License. Any other will simply say Drivers License.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

dedmiston
PopBeavers wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
I have the class C RV endorsement which is a misnomer. It's more accurately called "Restriction 41" which specifically addresses 5th wheel trailers over 10K but less than 15K. I had to take a written test which, I believe, is the same one for non-commercial class A. No medical exam, Dr. note, etc. ... just the written test. Also, there was no fee. I would have had to retake the standard class C written test. But, I had recently renewed my license within 90 days - so that was waived. The biggest challenge was finding a person who knew what it was and what test to give me. It took one clerk and a supervisor (and about 20 minutes of searching).

On the front of my license:

Class: CM1

On the back:

Class: Class C & M1-Veh w/GVWR<=26000; No A; 2whl M/C, Mtr-drvn Cycle, Scooter

Endorsements:None

Restrictions: 41-Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs GVWR

This was what I expected. Instead they gave me class A and no test.

The clerk that helped me told me that this was the second time she did a FW endorsement. Her first had been the day before.

She had to get her supervisor to help her.

They had to start over from the beginning once.

It took about 20 minutes of typing stuff into the computer to finish the task.

I thought the Noncommercial Class A license required a driving test too. I wonder if the requirements changed, or did you just get lucky?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
nevadan660 wrote:
Rich from Colfax - That is similiar to Nevada (J endorsement) and by the way smart choice with the Artic Fox 295T, same here. Chris - Fernley, NV

Thanks Chris! Fernley is on our short list to move to upon retirement in a couple of years.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
with me, I have been questioned about why I kept my Arizona Class A license when I retired. 1, because I could, 2, if I ever needed it to go to work somewhere and now, because of the issues with towing an RV. I am ready to roll, and have a tanker endorsement, so that allows me to haul my fifth wheel with full water and **** ! ! ! Ha Ha on the last part. Goood Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
Rich from Colfax - That is similiar to Nevada (J endorsement) and by the way smart choice with the Artic Fox 295T, same here. Chris - Fernley, NV
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Njmurvin wrote:
I have the class C RV endorsement which is a misnomer. It's more accurately called "Restriction 41" which specifically addresses 5th wheel trailers over 10K but less than 15K. I had to take a written test which, I believe, is the same one for non-commercial class A. No medical exam, Dr. note, etc. ... just the written test. Also, there was no fee. I would have had to retake the standard class C written test. But, I had recently renewed my license within 90 days - so that was waived. The biggest challenge was finding a person who knew what it was and what test to give me. It took one clerk and a supervisor (and about 20 minutes of searching).

On the front of my license:

Class: CM1

On the back:

Class: Class C & M1-Veh w/GVWR<=26000; No A; 2whl M/C, Mtr-drvn Cycle, Scooter

Endorsements:None

Restrictions: 41-Class A restricted to operating 5th wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs GVWR

This was what I expected. Instead they gave me class A and no test.

The clerk that helped me told me that this was the second time she did a FW endorsement. Her first had been the day before.

She had to get her supervisor to help her.

They had to start over from the beginning once.

It took about 20 minutes of typing stuff into the computer to finish the task.
Super Glide hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DiskDoctr wrote:
This would be a good place to talk about how some states' DMV are really messed up compared to ours.

But I've dealt with PA DMV. And WV. And MD. And FL....

I am convinced they were all hatched from the same cuckoo's nest! :E

LOL. Glad you guys are getting it worked out.

That "cuckoo's nest" is simply called "bureaucracy"... :M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:

This is the right answer,your Drivers License will NOT look like this
:B

Thanks for the pic. I have never seen a commercial license before. I just assumed, wrongly, that there was some additional text in the CLASS field.
Super Glide hitch

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
You do have to take a one time medical exam for a non-commercial class A lic.

Pop, when you receive your lic in the mail you'll see at the top just right of California it will read "Commercial Driver License" and under that will say Class A and under that any endorcements you have. If in fact a CDL shows up you need to get it corrected as if your pulled over you'll be fined for no medical card.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
This would be a good place to talk about how some states' DMV are really messed up compared to ours.

But I've dealt with PA DMV. And WV. And MD. And FL....

I am convinced they were all hatched from the same cuckoo's nest! :E

LOL. Glad you guys are getting it worked out.