cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What could go wrong with Teflon

milkman41
Explorer
Explorer
There is a previous post asking about using a Teflon disk instead of lubricant on the hitch. My hitch specifically states that using one will void the warranty. What could go wrong that would cause them to void the warranty?
32 REPLIES 32

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
What's going unsaid is that your acquaintance obviously did not (1.) verify that the arm was in the closed position and (2.) did not pin it closed after backing into the kingpin. Even if the arm had not been pinned open, by not verifying that it was closed and locking it, he would have most likely been in for a bad day anyway. His problem went far beyond pinning the arm in the open position.

Rusty

I agree, Rusty. AFAIK, the pin is suspenders as the jaws cam over-center and are basically self-locking. You =do= have to be sure to pull the locking arm fully closed, but once that's done, the jaws should =not= open under load, even without the pin. That guy was just having a really bad day, at best, or simply didn't know what he was doing, at worst.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a Very complicated hitch for some.Lol

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
Not that it appears to matter, but B&W's instructions specifically say to pin the handle open before attempting to pull away from the kingpin. See step 7 HERE.

Rusty

I am sure they also say to do a pull test. That IMHO is a waste of time with a B&W. I do an EYE test!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
What's going unsaid is that your acquaintance obviously did not (1.) verify that the arm was in the closed position and (2.) did not pin it closed after backing into the kingpin. Even if the arm had not been pinned open, by not verifying that it was closed and locking it, he would have most likely been in for a bad day anyway. His problem went far beyond pinning the arm in the open position.

Rusty
It's not unsaid, I stated that he forgot to remove the pin. He didn't check it, he forgot, pure and simple. Which is why I stated that I don't pin the arm open: I'm afraid that I will also forget to close it some day. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law, so the fewer opportunities I give him to ruin my day, the better I feel. I don't ever pin the arm back and I've still forgotten to put the pin in the arm and lock it after hitching up. KISS. I remembered it a couple miles down the road from the campground. The hitch worked as it should and there were no problems.

It works for you, and as long as you don't forget to remove the pin and close the arm all is good. This is one of those times when we'll have to agree to disagree, and while I respect the advice of the B&W folks, I will continue to do my own thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
GoPackGo wrote:
Lantley wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Clearance is tight on my B&W and I can't see when it has enough clearance to unhitch very well. I hogged out the bottom of a five gallon bucket which is a lot thinner. Been using the same one for years.
PS. Those discs aren't Teflon.

Interesting. I have a Hensley BD3 which has a Holland Binkley head.
I was not able to latch my 5'er using a lube plate. I tried multiple times with a couple of different lube plates. I even ordered a 1/8" plate from Hensley and no luck.
I have been using slip plate lubricant to keep things slippery without issue. Nevertheless I was never able to get the lube plate to work.
Maybe I need to try a bucket plate!

I have a BD3 too and have been using a generic teflon disk from Camping World with no problems since it was new. I do have the MorRyde pin. Maybe that makes a difference. I suggest that you give Hensley a call.

Tim

Thanks for the encouragement. I have not fooled with it in 4 years when I first bought my rig home. Maybe I will give it a shot one more time. While I pretty much have given up a using a lube plate I did find it odd that the hitch would not latch using the plate. Remove the plate and hitch latched fine.
I fussed with it a lot back then,but not much at all recently. I guess I'll give it one more shot.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Not that it appears to matter, but B&W's instructions specifically say to pin the handle open before attempting to pull away from the kingpin. See step 7 HERE.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Clearance is tight on my B&W and I can't see when it has enough clearance to unhitch very well. I hogged out the bottom of a five gallon bucket which is a lot thinner. Been using the same one for years.

I was not able to latch my 5'er using a lube plate. I tried multiple times with a couple of different lube plates. I even ordered a 1/8" plate from Hensley and no luck.
I have been using slip plate lubricant to keep things slippery without issue. Nevertheless I was never able to get the lube plate to work.

I have a BD3 too and have been using a generic teflon disk from Camping World with no problems since it was new. I do have the MorRyde pin. Maybe that makes a difference. I suggest that you give Hensley a call.

Tim

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
IMO pinning the lever open is not a good idea. The only time I've ever heard of someone dropping their trailer using a B&W hitch was when they pinned the handle open and forgot they did that. I just think it would be a bad habit to get into.

FWIW I've never had the need to pin mine open.

I was remembering the same thing! NEVER pin the handle open!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChopperBill wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Clearance is tight on my B&W and I can't see when it has enough clearance to unhitch very well.

Are you aware that the jaws don't have to be open to pull the truck out from the trailer? As long as the Companion's handle is pinned in the "open" position, the jaws will open when you drive forward. From B&W's Q&As:

Why won't the jaws on my Companion open when I pull the handle to the open position?

All of B&W's 5th wheel hitches utilize a cam action release for the jaws. When the latch handle is secured in the closed position, the jaws will stay locked around the kingpin of your trailer for towing. When the latch handle is moved to the open position, the tension on the jaws is released, even though they may not visibly pop open. If your truck and trailer are on uneven ground, there may be a slight bind between the jaws and trailer kingpin. This is normal. With the cam mechanism open, there is nothing holding the jaws together. Simply pull your truck forward. The jaws will open and you'll be unhitched from your trailer.

I've used a lube disc with B&W Companion hitches since 2001 without a problem.

Rusty

I never have unhitched unless the weight of the trailer is off the fifth wheel plate. I suppose I could go over to the other side of the pick up to pin the lever open but have always waited for the air gap. Just seemed like better unhitching practice.

I agree! I LOOK for the gap then pull the handle. I use the Hensley 1/8" disk. Expensive but does the fob!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ChopperBill wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing with my B&W Companion for about 6 years now and always used a teflon disc, never had any issues. I also never used the pinned open position, never even wondered about it. I have noticed that it's difficult to find the correct pull out position, sometimes the jaws cam shut if I don't get just the right amount of weight off the pin or the release binds and won't open.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
IMO pinning the lever open is not a good idea. The only time I've ever heard of someone dropping their trailer using a B&W hitch was when they pinned the handle open and forgot they did that. I just think it would be a bad habit to get into.

FWIW I've never had the need to pin mine open.

I believe the instructions say to pin the arm in the open position. I've been doing it since 2004 and never had an issue. My practice is to always return the arm to the locked, and pinned, position after unhitching and clearing the bed. This means that I =have= to unpin the locking arm to hitch up again.

Lyle
You say "I =have= to unpin the locking arm to hitch up again", but really you =have= to remember to unpin the locking arm. The one gentleman I was referring to backed into his hitch with the arm locked back and forgot to unpin the arm. He raised his stabilizers, and proceeded to pull his truck out from underneath his 5th wheel resulting in dents to the bed rails and tail gate.

It works for you, but it didn't work for him.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Rusty...are you saying that if you unlock the handle and the jaws don't VISUALLY open, even though you've unlocked the jaws, you're ok to pull forward and 5er hitch pin will pull out ok?

That's correct. As the FAQ response from B&W that I quoted states, if the arm is in the unlocked position, the jaws may not visibly open. It's OK to go ahead and pull out as the jaws will open as you drive out from the kingpin since nothing is holding them closed when the handle is in the unlocked position.

In B&W's words:

With the cam mechanism open, there is nothing holding the jaws together. Simply pull your truck forward. The jaws will open and you'll be unhitched from your trailer.

Rusty

Thanks buddy:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet