cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do I need to know - smart car- toy hauler

Amberella8
Explorer
Explorer
Husband and I have decided to travel travel work. We know we will need a second vehicle so have been looking at smart cars and toy hauler fifth wheels. Can anyone help with basic specs I need to know to travel with the smart car inside the toy hauler?
20 REPLIES 20

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Amberella8 wrote:
What exactly should I look for in the loading ramp?

Most ramps on toy haulers are rated at 3,000 lbs (that I have seen)

One problem you may have issues with is high centering at the top of the ramp and possibly angle of approach and departure at the bottom.

I solved all three for my 12ft Fiat by making ramps out of 2x10 boards about 10ft long to lay on top of ramp to extend out the loading length of the ramp.

Then of course you have to figure out a way to secure it.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loading ramps are already attached to the toyhauler.

Amberella8
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly should I look for in the loading ramp?

Amberella8
Explorer
Explorer
We would both need to drive to and from our jobs which would not always be in the same hospital so two cars is a must. Thanks for the info guys!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having lost my first wife in a traffic accident, I wouldn't put ANYONE in a Smart Car from a safety standpoint. Have you considered a Class A and a better tow'd? We full-time in a fifth wheel and have a car - but my wife drives behind on travel days. She loves it... gets to listen to her audio books, Italian music, etc. We spend less than 2% of our time actually driving and we have a safe vehicle to run around and sight-see in when we get there.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll need something that can carry 2,000 pounds and has 10 foot of cargo area.
It sounds as though you are planning on living it for extended periods. You'll enjoy life if it has one or more slide-outs. That would require a very large unit, say 35 foot or longer.