cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the procedure for buying a fifth wheel?

journeyernow
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! We are looking to buy our first RV and are very excited! We have decided that a fifth wheel would give our family the most space. We have been looking around and see a few that we like.

So, since we have never done this before, we are sort of clueless as to how to start the buying process.

What is the procedure?

Thanks! We can use all the help that we can get!
34 REPLIES 34

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
One way to check out buying 5ver. Drive through a Walmart parking lot and see the comedy of errors on what dealers have sold other people. Very good previous posts. Plus I would check my bed height Vs 5ver hitch height Vs sides of the bed height for clearance. Some newer PUs have made sides of bed higher. You want your 5ver to ride level. Not mounted so it looks like it is on a rocket launcher. Just look around and observe before you buy. Chuckle at the rocket launchers but learn from from what a dealer will push off on you if given the opportunity.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Do a lot of research, looking and learning.

Plan to attend a RV show, see lots of options.

Once you get close to deciding on a model/manufacture, come back here for opinions. Keep in mind, if you dig far enough, there are nightmare stories, with almost all brands, as well as satisfied customers.

Make sure you have enough tow vehicle.

Get to know your local dealers, many times a RV will need warranty work, and a good dealer may make or break your satisfaction of first RV ownership.

Research, how you plan on storing your RV. (where, costs, covered, etc....)

If by chance, you know someone with an RV, go camping with them, learn the systems, how they work, etc...Also at campgrounds, many RV's will share knowledge.

Get out and make adventures!

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent suggestions from Fred......but does it have to be a ford? LOL!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to RV.Net.
Fred said it well. Some people will tell you to look at 5th Wheel first. Than get the Truck. You will know the Weights of the Fifth wheel and get the correct truck to pull your trailer. At 12,000, to 14,000 GVWR your looking at F350/3500 CC 4X4 DRW, that's what i am looking at, for towing Stability. Depending which brand of Truck you would purchase. I am searching myself. Best of luck in your search,
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Good thing that you wrote in and asked the question. Some will say go to a truck dealer and get a 3/4 ton truck, the dealership will say "It can tow anything" and you go to the RV dealership with the newly purchased truck and they will tell you look over there at the tiny fifth wheels, your 3/4 ton truck can not carry the 2,800 pound pin weight of these longer fifth wheels. So now you are with a huge group of people who say "Why did the truck dealer say I could to 'Anything'"? At least you don't own the truck before determining what trailer you want to tow.

First thing I would recommend is going to the local Ford dealer and pick up a towing guide. Does not matter if you can afford a new truck or not, still pick up the towing guide. It will give important things for you to consider.

How much cargo rating will the truck need? That really depends on the trailer you are considering. Say you are looking at a 30' fifth wheel with a 14,000 GVWR and 2,200 pound hitch weight. If you also have 500 pounds of passengers, plan on bringing along some firewood, couple of bikes in the pickup, and some other camping stuff in the pickup, you can see you will need about 3,600 pounds of cargo rating to get it all done.

So a F-350 SRW (Single Rear Wheel) will do the job if it is 2005 and later with a 11,500 pound GVWR. Before 2005, the SRW F-350 is only rated at 9,900 pounds. The dually can carry about 3,500 pounds in 2004 and earlier, but increased to nearly 5,500 pounds in 2005 and later models. Now the Dually F-350 can tow just about anything. Under 18,000 Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer that is.

Good luck with your search, I have to get some rest, I am sure that many others will offer suggestions.

Once you decide and say pick a Keystone 33' fifth wheel, post it here. Someone will say "I had one of those and would recommend it or not, and tell you why.". THey might complain about dealer service, or poor warranty problems with a certain brand.

There will be someone who will say "Be sure to check out the ____ Brand, mine is great!"

Fred.

PS: Remember the secret to backing up a trailer.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com