cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of hitch do I need?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
While not new to Rv-ing - we've always owned class A's - as some of you know we finally made a decision on a FW. It's a 2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29RW. Unloaded 11k, GVWr 14k, Pin weight 2,350 (we are planning to add a W/D in the future, I am guessing that will impact that). My truck is a new 2020 F350 STX 6.7l 4x4 with 8 foot bed. If I understand the 8 foot bed keeps me from having to have a slider. The truck does not have pucks installed so it's a total install job on the hitch. I am negotiating with the dealer to have them throw in the hitch or at least the labor to install. He says it's a 4 hour job.

I am not looking for a top of the line hitch, but a middle of the road is fine. What should I be asking him to install? (this may be dependent on what he has available - he's saying he has supply issues due to COVID)

What should I expect to pay?

Thanks all for the continued help. This truck and FW shopping is a totally new experience and you guys have really made this easier.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
35 REPLIES 35

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
MFL wrote:
Well that sucks, but yes they should sub the 18K, eating the price diff themselves. The 18K Patriot is same as 16K but welded base, rather than bolted together.

Jerry

Etrailer was willing to give me the 18k for the same price, problem is even though they say in stock, it won't get here til end of next week or beginning of the following week. Incidentally the same time as the one I ordered that's back ordered. I wonder if none of these are "in stock". My dealer was able to get his hands on a Curt 16k and can have it it time to keep my dates. I was leaning to the B&W but frankly I am not sure I care. I have owned Curt and Reese hitches in the past never had problem with either.

Contact Tweety's, don't settle for less.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
MFL wrote:
IMO, neither compare to the B&W. Will they work...sure. Would your dealer consider loaning a hitch to you, new demo or used one? I would definitely take the 18K Patriot, for the price of 16K, even if you have to change trip plans. I also have used several brands of hitches, and none came close to ease of use, and quality of the B&W. If you get the B&W rails and frame mounting brackets installed, most any rail mount hitch you can borrow/steal, will fit until your new B&W arrives. You will be happy you waited for the B&W!!

Jerry

I'm happy with the Curt. No doubt the B&W is a great hitch, but in looking at the Curt it seems like a decent hitch on it's own and will suffice I am sure. I am sure there are lots of satisfied Curt hitch owners. Changing plans now would be very costly and there are a lot of other factors in involved. It's all good. Like I said, I have owned Curt and Reese products before and have no issues or complaints. 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have known the difference between any of them. The B&W was a nice to have not a have to have. I'm not dying on that hill.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, neither compare to the B&W. Will they work...sure. Would your dealer consider loaning a hitch to you, new demo or used one? I would definitely take the 18K Patriot, for the price of 16K, even if you have to change trip plans. I also have used several brands of hitches, and none came close to ease of use, and quality of the B&W. If you get the B&W rails and frame mounting brackets installed, most any rail mount hitch you can borrow/steal, will fit until your new B&W arrives. You will be happy you waited for the B&W!!

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
MFL wrote:
Well that sucks, but yes they should sub the 18K, eating the price diff themselves. The 18K Patriot is same as 16K but welded base, rather than bolted together.

Jerry

Etrailer was willing to give me the 18k for the same price, problem is even though they say in stock, it won't get here til end of next week or beginning of the following week. Incidentally the same time as the one I ordered that's back ordered. I wonder if none of these are "in stock". My dealer was able to get his hands on a Curt 16k and can have it it time to keep my dates. I was leaning to the B&W but frankly I am not sure I care. I have owned Curt and Reese hitches in the past never had problem with either.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Durb wrote:
I hope you optioned your trailer with the Trailair pin box. Otherwise, I would have recommended an air hitch to protect your new truck and trailer from fifth wheel forces which can be considerable. Plus, with a soft joint at the pin, the comfort of your tow would be greatly improved. The Patriot is a good hitch and I hope you are happy with the quality of your tow. The good news is, if not happy, you can upgrade later and the air hitch will attached directly to your rails. The Patriot will be easy to sell. This is the path I took.

I did not opt for that option. Looks like it was $1500. Quite a bit on an already light trailer and maxed out budget.

So I ordered the "in stock" B&W 16k hitch from etrailer and got my shipping date for Monday 7/20 and set up the trailer pick up for Wednesday. We have a small shake-down trip scheduled for the following week. Not sure what's up with Etrailer's in stock counts but now my order has been updated to "awaiting on stock " and thus back ordered. Call times in to Etrailer are almost 30 minutes but I am trying to get them to commit to something in stock to meet my dates. There is a 18k B&W for an extra hundred that shows in stock but been on hold trying to get through to someone who can verify it will make it here on time. I totally understand the impacts COVID has had to supply chains, but it's a bit of a problem when your site says in stock and provides a ship date, only to find 2 days later that it's not actually in stock and a TBD ship date. It snowballs into a lot of problems. I've dealt with them in the past and very pleased, hope they make this right somehow.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you optioned your trailer with the Trailair pin box. Otherwise, I would have recommended an air hitch to protect your new truck and trailer from fifth wheel forces which can be considerable. Plus, with a soft joint at the pin, the comfort of your tow would be greatly improved. The Patriot is a good hitch and I hope you are happy with the quality of your tow. The good news is, if not happy, you can upgrade later and the air hitch will attached directly to your rails. The Patriot will be easy to sell. This is the path I took.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get B&W rails/frame brackets as well. My current and last truck didn't have puck system either. On my '15 went w/ Reese rails/frame brackets and had a Reese hitch. All was okay w/ 5er we had at that time. same truck new 5er, upgraded hitch to B&W 18k Patriot. Then a year later, upgraded truck to a '17 DRW and went w/ B&W rails/brackets and oh man what a difference in thickness. All I can say is Wholly mackerol!!!!! Talk about beefy!!!!!!

Had a friend help me install both sets and we were able to get all but one torqued to spec due to where/how it's located and unable to get torque wrench on nut. So I just zapped it a few times w/ a high tq impact gun. Knock on wood, ok so far.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not a hard job, but unless you've done it before, it may take most of the day. The hitch needs to be assembled too, bolts properly torqued, etc. That price is fair. Hope they are careful with your new truck. I like to put my own first scratches on. 🙂

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
MFL wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Done, thanks again folks!

You won't be disappointed! E-trailer has quick service, be there in a few days.

Jerry

Yeah, they said Monday. My appointment to pick up the FW is Wednesday. I'm letting them do the install of the hitch. They quoted me $300, I figured it was worth that instead of me spending half a day on it.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:

You won't be disappointed! E-trailer has quick service, be there in a few days.

Jerry

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
Given cost etc, I found a B&W patriot hitch and complete KIT on Etrailer for $800 shipped.

Ready to pull the trigger on this, sanity check please, it's a complete kit, 16k hitch, rails and Ford F350 mounts. This should be all I need right?

Hitch

Yup

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Given cost etc, I found a B&W patriot hitch and complete KIT on Etrailer for $800 shipped.

Ready to pull the trigger on this, sanity check please, it's a complete kit, 16k hitch, rails and Ford F350 mounts. This should be all I need right?

Hitch

N6761U
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Ford Puck system. I had a 99PSD with the Turn over Ball, which was a great hitch but heavy to install. Last Sept I bought a New 2019 F350 with the puck system already installed so I had to buy the new B&W hitch which is a lot lighter. Not only is it the same great quality but now has 4 points that it secures to the truck. My only regret was that I would have waited for the 2020, but as it is my 19' pulls my 5th wheel like its not even there.
Pritch