cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why are fifth wheels more expensive than travel trailers?

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've seen on line, they appear to be more solid and are often a little nicer.

Is that why? I can't really tell, for certain, based on pictures.
23 REPLIES 23

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
dub- That 40G in your sig has got to be the loooongest one I've ever seen!!! Is that a strech version? ๐Ÿ™‚

dubdub07 wrote:
mleekamp wrote:
I've had both. I personally don't consider them any "better" per se; true they can have a few more plush goodines (ceiling fan for example), but anymore we prefer a TT. Honestly, I like having a topper on my truck to store grill, kids toys, many other things that we take along. Boils down to personal preference. "More Solid" is very subjective way to describe a 5 vs TT...WoodGlue is right....also depends upon mfgr.

There are comparable FWs to a TT, the superlite FWs are about the same as a TT. The biggest issue is weight. The heavier you can be, the more "goodies". This is why a FW can be so much nicer. Even at 10K for a TT, with a 7 ft ceiling you limit the TT on how many goodies it can have. FWs, generally, are much nicer. And I never put my grill and the kids stuff in the truck; there was always plenty of room in the FW.

WW07
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Fifth wheels require a more complex frame and sidewall design. A TT can pretty much be made out of rectangular panels on flat frame rails, whereas a fifth wheel requires the sidewalls to be step cut with sloping roof angles etc and a reinforced step-up frame to accommodate the pinbox.. 5th wheels are much more stable when towing, hence more popular for those who spend a lot of time on the road. Some of us feel claustrophobic in a TT but the 5th has more of a percieved roominess. At least that's what my DW thinks.....
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
W&H,....

I think that ol' chestnut still applies...

Supply and demand.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
What about manufactures who produce the same floorplan in both TT and 5'er? Inside the two are nearly identical. Same furnishings, decor, options, length etc. Yet the 5'er will be quite a bit more expensive. In our case we opted to go with the 5'er because of increased outside storage and better towing but the cost difference was substantial.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
I've had both. I personally don't consider them any "better" per se; true they can have a few more plush goodines (ceiling fan for example), but anymore we prefer a TT. Honestly, I like having a topper on my truck to store grill, kids toys, many other things that we take along. Boils down to personal preference. "More Solid" is very subjective way to describe a 5 vs TT...WoodGlue is right....also depends upon mfgr.

There are comparable FWs to a TT, the superlite FWs are about the same as a TT. The biggest issue is weight. The heavier you can be, the more "goodies". This is why a FW can be so much nicer. Even at 10K for a TT, with a 7 ft ceiling you limit the TT on how many goodies it can have. FWs, generally, are much nicer. And I never put my grill and the kids stuff in the truck; there was always plenty of room in the FW.

WW07
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
wishin'andhopin' wrote:
From what I've seen on line, they appear to be more solid and are often a little nicer.

Is that why? I can't really tell, for certain, based on pictures.

More features (storage & living area primarily), more "bling", and I suspect a little more complex construction with the cantilever frame segment. And..........popularity.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
For one, they're much longer and taller. They're also, as far as style goes, more "plush" or geared toward higher end "clients."

It all depends on who manufacturer a certain Travel Trailer or 5th Wheel as to being "solid" or not.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You need to actually go to a dealer or RV show and look at them. I think then you will understand.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)