cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter camping

kay-shane
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if any of you go camping in the winter around the Midwest where it's colder. I've got the urge to hook up and head out this weekend. Weather says 40's and 50's.
22 REPLIES 22

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, April 1 for water... In lower Michigan they wait until Memorial day. In the UP I've been to State Parks that still have the water off and dump station plowed shut in June.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We winter camp, but won't un-winterize the water lines till temps stay above 32 day and night. We basically dry camp. No water in the toilet, shower, or sinks. Nothing down the drains, and we use a port-a-potty and dump the contents every day into the campground pit-toilet. Bring water with is in jugs as the campground water (in Indiana) is turned off till April 1.

Keep warm with gas and electric space heaters (state parks in Indiana keep the electricity on), and just enjoy ourselves.

Problem with Illinois, just like Indiana, especially in January, it might be 5 degrees one day, and 50 the next and then go back to 5 the next.

If you de-winterize anticipating the 50 degree weather this week-end, then be prepared to winterize again, because Old Man Winter can still hang around until the end of March if he really wants to.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to get out all year. In the winter I head for the low desert. A rig with heated tanks makes it much easier. Sometimes when it is cold I just leave the antifreeze in place and don't use the plumbing system. I heat water on the stove to wash with.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

40 is not even cold.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kay-shane
Explorer
Explorer
They are saying little rain Saturday morning but I can deal with that. Maybe weather is wrong and it will be 60 and 70. ๐Ÿ™‚

Schertz
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely...your 40-50 degree forecast (and no rain?) is a great way enjoy the weekend. Have fun!
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Cadillac SRX

kay-shane
Explorer
Explorer
I've had enough of the winter. I'm ready to camp.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best time to camp in the North. No bugs, no crowds.

70F last February around here briefly, it was a neat thaw. Made going back to teens and twenties hard though.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed