cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anderson ultimate hitch

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
So what kind of experiences are out there with the Anderson Ultimate hitch...getting it hitched and unhitched and the actual towing with it compare to the regular hitches
65 REPLIES 65

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
This horse ain't nowhere close to being dead....for those of you running chains: where, and how, are you attaching to your pinbox? I was thinking about an un-used hole in pinbox and a machinery eye bolt. I don't think a state trooper would know that pulling sideways on a eye bolt isn't recommended. I have the Curt eyes for the Ram pucks, I just need chains and an attaching point to the 5th.

I attached my chains to unused holes in the pinbox mounting bracket.

As far as whether I need them...kind of depends. They aren't required in Idaho where I live. They are required in Oregon where I frequently tow. I haven't looked into other surrounding states because I figured it was easiest just to put some chains on and it's not like they hurt anything.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I've got the Ram factory prep. I bought a Curt gooseneck ball with safety chain kit. I have 2 Curt "D rings" that go in 2 of the 4 unused puck locations.
So, with the Andersen eyebolts I just need to get appropriate length of chain with hooks on the ends that will go in the Curt D rings??

The Andersen chain kit comes with everything you'll need. Just supply your own tools for the install. It was as simple install.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The B&W does not actually fasten to the ball, but uses the square hole in the system that is fastened underneath to the frame.

Jerry

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why the 5th wheel hitches that are connected to the truck utilizing the ball in the truck bed, such as the B&W turnover ball system does not require safety chains. The connection point between the fiver and the truck is a ball connection. Why is it any different than the AUH?
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given that safety chain requirements state that the chains most be attached as follows:

d) Not be connected to the hitch ball or to a ball mount designed to be readily removable when not in use.

It is questionable in my mind that Andersen's kit that attaches chains to their kingpin adapter is the correct location to create the safety factor that they are after with safety chains. Safety chains are there to provide a secondary connection should the primary coupling of the trailer and TV fail. Some bumper pull rules state that the chains can not be attached with the same bolt/bolts that attaching the coupler to a trailer tongue.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Friend has had two the first one bent under emergency breaking but Anderson just asked him to send pics and after word from the company he had to send pics again where he cut up the bent one and they sent him a new one. And as of this date no issues with the new one.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I've got the Ram factory prep. I bought a Curt gooseneck ball with safety chain kit. I have 2 Curt "D rings" that go in 2 of the 4 unused puck locations.
So, with the Andersen eyebolts I just need to get appropriate length of chain with hooks on the ends that will go in the Curt D rings??

You can get the chain kit from Andersen when you order the eye bolts. I just got everything from them

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a standard gooseneck hitch with the pop up chain loops on the sides of the hitch, that is all you need. I use those and they are vey easy to hook/unhook.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^Thank you very much!
I don't know how I missed that on their website.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
This horse ain't nowhere close to being dead....for those of you running chains: where, and how, are you attaching to your pinbox? I was thinking about an un-used hole in pinbox and a machinery eye bolt. I don't think a state trooper would know that pulling sideways on a eye bolt isn't recommended. I have the Curt eyes for the Ram pucks, I just need chains and an attaching point to the 5th.

If you're asking where to attach chains to the Andersen Ultimate, the answer is that Andersen sells eye-bolts that replace the two bolts that come with Ultimate's pinbox adapter. You simply remove the two bolts (there's one on each side of the kingpin) and replace with the Andersen eye bolts. Insert such that one eye extends on the left and reversing the bolt, the other eye extends to the right. Your chains then clip to those eyes.

Andersen part #3205 - Ultimate Connection Safety Chain Eye Bolts
$34.99 (USA)
Scroll Here to see eyebolt kit

Also for what it's worth, a direct call to Andersen Customer Support and they've been known to heavily discount the kit for existing Andersen users.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 3 different heavy 5ers with 2 different trucks - one short bed, one long approx 25,000 trouble-free miles over all types of terrain with an Andersen hitch. My hitch is attached to a goose neck ball using the factory-installed 5th wheel/goose neck hitch prep.

My experience is that hitching and unhitching is much easier than with a conventional hitch. I use my cargo camera to line it up. I do not have to climb into the truck bed or over the 'hips' of my dually. Towing is much smoother and quieter. There is no chucking. I can install or remove the hitch myself without a hoist, chain fall or come-along in a matter of minutes. The hitch has caused no bed deflection.

In short, I can't imagine why I would ever go away from the Andersen and back to a conventional hitch.

Happy trails,
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2