cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing...did I forget anything?

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Drained hot water tank, rinsed out by flushing with hose, left anode rod out. By passed hot water heater and ran the pink stuff through all the lines and into P traps, to include outside shower, also covered toilet seal with it. Cleaned everything, not so much as a crumb in there, fridge and freezer clean, dry and open. Cut power and pulled battery. Forgetting anything?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021
16 REPLIES 16

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I always check for any little holes. Wait til dark, turn on lights inside or put a flashlight in the storage bays-plug any holes that light escapes from.
I also remove 9V and AA batteries from smoke detectors, they will just die and cause the detectors to beep.
I use a hitch lock. Cover the tongue jack, hitch plug and battery connections.
I spray WD-40 in all of the locks, jack and step pivot points.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
Ok, I was able to do the city water connection by removing the screen, relieving the pressure by opening the outside shower valve, and pushing in on the detent. Pink stuff came out so I assume that's good. I don't have a washing machine or an ice maker, so maybe the only thing I haven't covered is the black tank flush. I know I didn't do it last year either. How important is it?

Just use a compressor to blow out the black tank flush. You don't need pink stuff in it. I get to do the winterize chore this weekend. I have never used the pink stuff before but did have a problem last year with just blowing everything out with air. I had not considered how to put pink stuff in the city water connection. I think I will just blow it out with air and then change the valve positions to take in the pink stuff with the pump.

One more item. I take the 9 volt batteries out of the detectors and put in new ones next spring.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I was able to do the city water connection by removing the screen, relieving the pressure by opening the outside shower valve, and pushing in on the detent. Pink stuff came out so I assume that's good. I don't have a washing machine or an ice maker, so maybe the only thing I haven't covered is the black tank flush. I know I didn't do it last year either. How important is it?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

Outside shower....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Yes, one very important thing you forgot. If you are a good standing GS member you can buy RV anti-freeze from CW, on special sale, for $4.29 a gallon. Otherwise you will have to get it for Walmart's every day price of $2.97 a gallon.:S

LOL

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a health food store and get some peppermint oil, put a few drops on 4 or 5 cotton balls and put them around the unit. Not on something that will absorb the oil, the mice will stay away.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
LOL

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, one very important thing you forgot. If you are a good standing GS member you can buy RV anti-freeze from CW, on special sale, for $4.29 a gallon. Otherwise you will have to get it for Walmart's every day price of $2.97 a gallon.:S

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You can attach a short hose to your outside shower connection and the other end to the black tank flush inlet and pump antifreeze from the shower connection thru the flush line. Quick and simple.
And the same for the fresh water inlet.
You don't say whether or not you have a washer/dryer. Or an ice maker.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Also found the first sign of mice, they had started to build a nest in a tote in the basement of the 5er with bat insulation. Not sure where they got it from. Probably sets some traps I guess.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks are empty and flushed as well as I could. Low points were drained. Haven't ever done anything with the city water connection in the past, must have just been lucky to this point? Didn't do the black tank flush thing either darnit!
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
City water connection. At this point, best way to do it would be to get a short length of clear hose and fill it with pink. Then connect to city water with one end of the hose, and fresh water to other end. Crack the fresh tap and put the pink in the hose through the city water connection, shutting off the flow before the city water pushes all the pink away.

Then you are really done.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot once and froze and they broke. Learned my lesson. Black tank flusher and also if you have a toilet sprayer. Had to take down the undercover and replace flush unit and also forgot the toilet sprayer and found it exploded in pieces on the floor in the spring. Thought I had all the spots but forgot I added them the spring before. I always double check them now.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Low drain points? Pull breaker for HWH.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax