cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wiring a light switch

bcrome
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wants to add some pendant lights to our 5th wheel, and when removing the wire, there are only two wires. One white with a green strip and one white. How do you wire a light switch since you do not have a black,white and green wire. Normal light switch is you connect both switch poles to two black and connect the common and ground, Can anybody help. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
If you have to ask then you probably should let someone else do it. It could be wired different ways. Paying someone who knows what they're doing the first time is a lot cheaper than paying someone to fix what gets broken, and then still paying someone to do it right.

x2
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
If you have to ask then you probably should let someone else do it. It could be wired different ways. Paying someone who knows what they're doing the first time is a lot cheaper than paying someone to fix what gets broken, and then still paying someone to do it right.
Camped in every state

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
yes and you should use a 12 volt lamp also

bcrome
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Do I need to acquire a 12v light switch, or can I utilize a normal light switch. Not real familiar with 12 wiring

greende
Explorer
Explorer
In a 12 volt system, You only switch the hot side. The ground for the particular fixture may be attached directly to the chassis ground as in automotive stuff where it makes contact with the frame or it may be a separate return wire attached to the system ground as in a trailer. The wires you are describing, are they coming from the fixture you just purchased? My guess is that the White with green is ground and the white is hot. You'll have to play with it a bit
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72