cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yosemite - what to expect?

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to Yosemite this weekend, checking the weather it shows rain and snow, what should we expect and plan for? We will be
Leaving Friday AM.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
15 REPLIES 15

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Weather reports for Yosemite this weekend.

Snow above 7000'
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
I live just down the hill from Yosemite, with this system you can expect rainfall on the Valley floor and possibly snow up higher. Pretty normal for this time of year. 41 can accommodate your length easily. Fair warning, there have been a number of fires in the area this year so the Wawona area is a bit scorched along with some of the back country trails. Not sure if they are open. You chose a very good time of year to go, the fall colors will be setting in, take the trail that goes to Mirror Lake, lots of trees changing colors in there plus the view right below Half Dome. Not sure if Glacier Point is open, it has been closed all year for construction as have the big trees. If you get a chance go check out Nelder Grove off of 41 just above Oakhurst, one of the few groves of Giant Sequoia trees and little known.

Have fun!
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
El Portal Road bridge restrictions:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/restrictions.htm

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM54XN_California_Highway_140_Ferguson_Rockslide_West_Bridge

Also there is one-way traffic controlled by lights.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
Curious are campgrounds open in Yosemite year round? Did you have to have reservations? I know summer camping w/o reservations is impossible...

I made Reservations Back when it opened up in June. It was dang impossible to get summer and I barley got in For Nov. decided Nov for my wifeโ€™s Birthday.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curious are campgrounds open in Yosemite year round? Did you have to have reservations? I know summer camping w/o reservations is impossible...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
@Lwiddis we always pack for all conditions better to have and not need it...
@Y-Guy, Snow makes for great adventures we have never done it so we have to experience before we can decide if we want to do it again ๐Ÿ™‚
@Dedmiston paddle sledding...Hmmm

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dedmiston is always thinking positive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
If he gets stuck, he can use his paddle boards to sled to safety.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
Trailer in the snow isn't a lot of fun, but it's very doable if you go smart and drive safe (aka slow). If you know for sure you are going to haul through now load up your tanks make sure you have a fair amount of weight on your drive axle.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe its just me...clothes always packed for hot, cold and wet. Always carry my chains for TV and TT. Yosemite in November...fabulous!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys - I got chains. Iโ€™ll most likely take I5,99,41
@gonzo my Truck and trailer measure 45โ€™ total length. What bridge is it?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
140 is probably your best bet as its the lowest elevation and an easy drive. There is one restriction regarding rig size for a bridge. I seem to remember 40 ft length max. Better check if your rig is big.

They will probably turn you back at the gate if you have no chains. If you do take 41, you can buy chains in Oakhurst.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Take snow chains if anticipating snow.
CHP will be at a checkpoint below the snowfall checking for proper size of chains. Call park or CHP central division night before to see if there are any road closures. You can also get on cal trans website for closures.

Take I5 to 99 up to Fresno 41.
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Wonโ€™t be going through the 395 this time - 1-5 to 41