cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Affordable Care Act And Snowbirds

Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled across this on Yahoo this morning and thought I would share.
The multistate dweller aspect never crossed my mind until I read this. Details yet to come.

Please don't let this become a political red vs. blue bashing thread, just posting information some may find interesting or informative:

You need to enroll in the โ€˜rightโ€™ state

Each state will have a health-insurance marketplace, and people must sign up for insurance in the state of their primary residence. Plans will include coverage for any emergencies that happen when youโ€™re traveling out-of-state.

Snowbirds who split their time between states will likely have multistate plans to choose from on the marketplaces. Details for these plans will become available later this month, when the Office of Personnel Management announces the contracts, according to a spokesperson. Some may be regional plans that cover a large metropolitan area that crosses state boundaries. But itโ€™s possible that a given multistate plan may not meet the needs of someone who spends, say, half the year in New York and the other half in Florida.

Currently, some snowbirds are served by whatโ€™s known as a โ€œwraparound network,โ€ whereby a claims-management company contracts with the primary insurer to lease a provider network that the insurerโ€™s members can access when they travel outside the primary network area, said Terri Welter, principal at ECG Management Consultants, a Seattle-based consulting firm to the health-care industry. While itโ€™s not clear yet, itโ€™s possible this type of system may continue with some plans on the exchanges, she said.

If you move out of state, youโ€™ll need to re-enroll for coverage in your new place of residence. A move will be considered a โ€œqualifying life eventโ€ that will allow you to sign up for coverage outside of the open enrollment period..
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
83 REPLIES 83

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gale Hawkins wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for Medicare, VA, etc get replaced with ACA? Especially the VA which is a huge first party provider of free medical care of all types. It is very expensive operation that is in expansion mode I have been told by some who work at one VA hospital.

These programs cover groups of people who tend to be more pro-active in exercising their voting rights. I maintain that's the main reason Congress has never had the intestinal fortitude to go after the big expensive programs, whether they're SS, VA, Medicare, Medicad or Defense, Education, etc. From all appearances Obamacare seems to follow this theme by shifting a lot of the financial burden to the younger, less pro-active voters. Time will tell how well that works, but I suspect as they age they'll be a LOT more pro-active voters.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:
.... Cool. Would you post a link for free supplement plans?
Thanks
The plans all vary by zipcode. If you start here:
https://medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx and put in your zip code and answer a few questions you eventually get to a choice of plans. In my area there are two with 0 cost after you pay the Medicare part B premium of 104.90.

AARP MedicareComplete Plus (HMO-POS) (H4102-001-0)
.... and ...
BlueCHiP for Medicare Value (HMO-POS) (H4152-016-0) (by Blue Cross of Rhode Island)

Note: You need to sign up for part B at age 65 OR have existing coverage, otherwise the part B premium will be higher than $104.90.

You are confusing Medicare Advantage (which includes Part B and supplement paid for, in part with your Part B payment) with a Medicare Gap policy. And notice that both that you listed are HMOs which generally aren't that good for Fulltimers.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
trickto322 wrote:
correction: If you have a service connected injury they will cover 100% but even that is on a sliding scale. They also take your medicare card and bill them for part of the bill.

If under stated condition of a service connected injury they will cover 100% how would there be a sliding scale. I can see the VA billing one's insurance options however.

I do understand how FREE was actually paid for by someone. ๐Ÿ™‚

trickto322
Explorer
Explorer
correction: If you have a service connected injury they will cover 100% but even that is on a sliding scale. They also take your medicare card and bill them for part of the bill.

trickto322
Explorer
Explorer
my husband has been going to the VA for years and it is not "free". it goes by your income. If you make to much you cannot go to the VA. We have been paying a co pay from day one. NOTHING IS FREE

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Gale Hawkins wrote:
.... Cool. Would you post a link for free supplement plans?
Thanks
The plans all vary by zipcode. If you start here:
https://medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx and put in your zip code and answer a few questions you eventually get to a choice of plans. In my area there are two with 0 cost after you pay the Medicare part B premium of 104.90.

AARP MedicareComplete Plus (HMO-POS) (H4102-001-0)
.... and ...
BlueCHiP for Medicare Value (HMO-POS) (H4152-016-0) (by Blue Cross of Rhode Island)

Note: You need to sign up for part B at age 65 OR have existing coverage, otherwise the part B premium will be higher than $104.90.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
The Texan wrote:
... If on Medicare, you will be REQUIRED to have a supplement in order to be in compliance with ACA and around here that is going to be expensive.
Even if that were true there are supplement plans that cost $0.00. YES, Zero dollars.
Please find me a zero dollar supplement here in the mountains of west Idaho. No such thing......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
The Texan wrote:
... If on Medicare, you will be REQUIRED to have a supplement in order to be in compliance with ACA and around here that is going to be expensive.
Even if that were true there are supplement plans that cost $0.00. YES, Zero dollars.

Cool. Would you post a link for free supplement plans?
Thanks

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Gene and DW Ginny

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
.... Results of research "ACA and Medicare"...
Valuable reading, thanks for posting that link.
Gene and DW Ginny

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
Just something to ponder as you get ready to jump in...

"Late Wednesday, Obama officials admitted that the Obamacare exchanges pose so many "cybersecurity threats" that it is instituting a new "rapid response mechanism," a call center to field consumer complaints. It has also produced a publication on how to "Protect Yourself From Fraud In The Health Insurance Marketplace."

Given how many people are out hacking ALL SORTS of places sounds like a wise move. Also lots of scammers are already out there trying to lure people to websites that look like they could be authentic. Sign of the times we live in.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Just something to ponder as you get ready to jump in...

"Late Wednesday, Obama officials admitted that the Obamacare exchanges pose so many "cybersecurity threats" that it is instituting a new "rapid response mechanism," a call center to field consumer complaints. It has also produced a publication on how to "Protect Yourself From Fraud In The Health Insurance Marketplace."

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
wingsfan20 wrote:
The ACA does not impact any one on Medicare as far as exchanges are concerned. If you have Medicare, you meet requirement of the affordable care act.
Think again and do some research. If on Medicare, you will be REQUIRED to have a supplement in order to be in compliance with ACA and around here that is going to be expensive.

From the government website (Www.healthcare.gov):

Medicare isnโ€™t part of the Health Insurance Marketplace, so you donโ€™t need to do anything. If you have Medicare, you are considered covered.

The Marketplace wonโ€™t affect your Medicare choices, and your benefits wonโ€™t be changing. No matter how you get Medicare, whether through Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage Plan, youโ€™ll still have the same benefits and security you have now. You wonโ€™t have to make any changes.

Note: The Marketplace does not offer Medicare supplement (Medigap) insurance or Part D drug plans. For information on these programs, visit Medicare.gov.

Barb

Figment II

2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
wingsfan20 wrote:
The ACA does not impact any one on Medicare as far as exchanges are concerned. If you have Medicare, you meet requirement of the affordable care act.
Think again and do some research. If on Medicare, you will be REQUIRED to have a supplement in order to be in compliance with ACA and around here that is going to be expensive.

Results of research "ACA and Medicare"

Watch out for the scammers who are trying to sell you phony supplements.
Medicare.gov wrote:
Itโ€™s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell you a Marketplace plan.

See: Medicare & the Marketplace
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how long it will take for Medicare, VA, etc get replaced with ACA? Especially the VA which is a huge first party provider of free medical care of all types. It is very expensive operation that is in expansion mode I have been told by some who work at one VA hospital.