cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any RV toilets with a P trap?

btrippy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting tired of trying different black tank deodorizing solutions.. I can't seem to find one that knocks out the odors as well as breaks the junk down. I've tried at least 4 different products, and while most work for a few days, they never last the whole tank.

My question is, are there any RV toilets that have a standard house P trap in them? I'm guessing that would eliminate the smells and allow the use of any black tank solution.

I'm all ears for any additional solutions as well.

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
btrippy wrote:
I'm getting tired of trying different black tank deodorizing solutions.. I can't seem to find one that knocks out the odors as well as breaks the junk down.
You shouldn't need any deodorizers if you dump often in hot weather, and use enough water. Water breaks down the junk.

Perhaps it's your gray.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Residential toilets have traps built in, but they also use several gallons of water to flush in order to force the waste through the trap. The reason RV toilets don't have traps is so they can flush using very little water. That doesn't mean you should suffer with a foul odor either, try some of the suggestions offered here.

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if anyone has tried THESE things. I gave them a shot this year for the first time and so far I am impressed. They claim you don't need RV TP but I haven't tested that just yet.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
Even the most efficient flush toilet out there uses over 1 gallon of water per flush. That's a lot of water in the holding tank per day.

We use the camco pouches for the smell and they work quite good. I'm with Randu on the unseen residue from incomplete flushing. That is probably the first thing to look at. Then faulty seals, and under the sink vents, or toilet seals.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Consider The Geo Method to help keep your tanks clean.

If your tank vent and toilet seal are working properly, you won't have any odors.

Make sure you don't have a faulty air admittance valve under your sink. That could be the cause of your problem.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
We found that the rinse water doesn't flow over all bowl surfaces and the "splatter effect" is causing the smell. Un rinsed areas of the bowl just build up over the course of the day and smell. This is nothing you can see but just microscope bacteria. We take the toilet bowl brush and swish the clean water around each morning and evening and it has made a big difference in smelly bathroom. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:
Toilets DON'T have "P traps" The water on top of the valve keeps the smell in. Only drains have the traps. That's why your household commode has the water I it. JMHO

It's not the water that keeps the smell in on an RV toilet. It is the seal on the valve that does that. Water standing in the RV toilet is only there because the rubber seal won't allow it to go by. Residential toilets do have traps -- just not p-traps -- they are s-traps.

I don't know of any RV toilets with traps.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Toilets DON'T have "P traps" The water on top of the valve keeps the smell in. Only drains have the traps. That's why your household commode has the water I it. JMHO
charles weidman