cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dental care

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting organized to spend a year traveling around the country and Canada in our Pleasureway. We will need to get our teeth cleaned at the six month point like we do at home. However, we don't live on the mainland and my Interent research hasn't turned up an answer. I was wondering if walk-in dental clinics are common. I turned up some places that said they took dental emergencies, but this won't be an emergency. I also don't want to became a new patient at some dentist's office because that will entail the usual spectrum of exams, xrays and the like. We just want to get our teeth cleaned because we have a regular dentist at home. We also won't be able to make an appointment say, three months in advance, like seems to be the norm at dentists offices because we don't know where we'll be. Any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your replies. We just had our teeth cleaned Monday at our dentist here. I asked her the same question, and she told me there are walkin dental clinics in malls so that might be an option too.

And she told us she can email us our xrays so we will have them with us if we need them.

Taurus19
Explorer
Explorer
I am a 52 yr old teacher in Phoenix, AZ. I have been going to the same dentist at "Dental Solutions" (Xochipilli Bojorquez) in Los Algodones. She has also treated my 82 year old father. I have had bridges, a root canal,a partial, a crown, and three implants. Dr. Xochipilli is a warm, caring person with a clean clinic. She will fill out your insurance forms and give you your xrays and records if you want them. Her prices are about 1/8 of USA prices.

She have taken refresher courses in several prestigious institutions including Harvard Medical School in Boston.

Note that with Dr. Bojorquez that here is a 4% surcharge to use a Visa card. Then your credit card company will charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, even if the bill is in dollars. Best to bring cash or check.
Dental Solutions: (928) 328 1121
www.dsolutions.mx

Don't forget your passport. I think you need it to get back into the U.s.

Good Luck!

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had any trouble get our dental checks/cleanings on the road. If we are staying in an area for any extended time, we ask for recommendations from the locals. Most dentist will require that you get an xray. Since we pay cash all have given us a discount.
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
islandpaddler wrote:
Thanks again for all the help. We don't currently plan to go to Mexico but if we did wouldn't that require some special camper insurance?

Most of these folks aren't crossing the border with their Rigs!! they are Walking across the border at towns that are on the line, set up specifically with Many Many clinics Pharmacies etc. for just that purpose. If you do decide on mexico , get some recommendations of those who have gone before .. like anything some are great some not so much
Bill

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Each State has differing laws about an exam, in relation to a cleaning. The dentist does have the right to protect his license.

If you have a regular DDS you see at home, do as recommended an either have them print copies of your x rays, or put them on a drive. It also would be big help to have them print a copy of your treatment notes. You will probably find it easier to have a
" cleaning only " appointment if the DDS knows you get treatment regularly and are free of decay and periodontal disease.

As a new patient, there is a legality of having a comprehensive exam done by the DDS prior to the hygienist doing your cleaning. It is possible you will be able to find offices that will do your cleanings without an exam, but they might have you sign form saying as such, and they are not responsible for any decay or periodontal disease not diagnosed.

He is watching out for his own best interests, but he is also recommending something that is in yours too. Trust me, the $39.00 they charge for an exam, isn't going to make or break his Range Rover payment for the month.

Good Luck

On edit... HappyKayakers statement about finding an office where the Dentist did their cleaning is nothing to tout about. Dentists make their money doing restorative work, ie crowns and bridges. They hate doing cleanings and will not be as thorough as a Hygienist.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the help. We don't currently plan to go to Mexico but if we did wouldn't that require some special camper insurance?

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Gruffy wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
If you are in the Tucson area try "Dental Laser" in Nogales. Excellent work at great prices.

:C

Not our experience at all. We know of 2 people who had to have all their work re-done.

Care to share some specifics? I know a couple of dozen folks who have nothing but good results. Their waiting room is usually filled with snow birds many of whom have been using them for years.

:h

Friend who had recommended them went back a year later and had 3 crowns redone. THEY STOOD UP TO THEIR GUARANTEE AND IT COST NOTHING, BUT IT'S A PAIN TO GET WORK RE-DONE FREE OR NOT.

Wife had a plate made. 3 trips it still didn't fit. Trip 4 we asked for our money back. Boss came out of the back and worked on it himself and got a reasonable fit. She tells me she's not going back.

Heard of a few others but you get my point. Not everyone had had great service.

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
islandpaddler wrote:
We're getting organized to spend a year traveling around the country and Canada in our Pleasureway. We will need to get our teeth cleaned at the six month point like we do at home. However, we don't live on the mainland and my Interent research hasn't turned up an answer. I was wondering if walk-in dental clinics are common. I turned up some places that said they took dental emergencies, but this won't be an emergency. I also don't want to became a new patient at some dentist's office because that will entail the usual spectrum of exams, xrays and the like. We just want to get our teeth cleaned because we have a regular dentist at home. We also won't be able to make an appointment say, three months in advance, like seems to be the norm at dentists offices because we don't know where we'll be. Any ideas?

When you get to the dentist you can refuse x-rays and detailed examinations if you want. Don't let the hygienist push you into procedures you don't want or need.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I too suggest Mexico, $20.00 - $25.00 for cleaning & exam in Nuevo Progreso.
pawatt

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry our Xrays on a thumb drive, both the latest bite-wings and our full mouth "once every 5 years". Whenever we have Xrays done we ask them to put them on the drive or email them to us. We look on Yelp to find a dentist wherever we happen to be.
Sometimes a dentist will want to take their own XRays but we have never been charged for it. they know our insurance won't cover it.
We do have to stress that we want a cleaning and not a "first time patient" appointment. If they won't accommodate that we move on to the next one on the list. sometimes we have had to have both types of appointments in the same visit, but we were only charged $25 so it wasn't too bad.

Barb, what dentist do you use in Mesa?

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gruffy wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
If you are in the Tucson area try "Dental Laser" in Nogales. Excellent work at great prices.

Not our experience at all. We know of 2 people who had to have all their work re-done.

Care to share some specifics? I know a couple of dozen folks who have nothing but good results. Their waiting room is usually filled with snow birds many of whom have been using them for years.

:h

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
You might be surprised at what options are available in snow-bird areas. We found a very nice, thorough dentist in Mesa who gives a discount to those staying in RV parks that are near his practice. He knows that people can head south of the border, but if his prices are reasonable and he isn't pushy, he will get business from folks like us who are here for the winter. We've been very happy to have found him. We've had to many friends who went south of the border for cheap work and ended up 2-4 years later having to have all of the work (and more) redone.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

islandpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm writing down all these names so if anyone else has any more, please advise. We do need a six-month cleaning and won't be able to come home for that. Thanks all.