cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FT Rver urgent questions about La county regulations

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
Been a FT RVer since 2011. I tour a lot for a living and always bouncing from city to city / state to state.

I got a UPS store box in Lancaster, CA and that's the address I put on my DL. I guess that makes me an LA county resident then? I travel with my 3 dogs. Should my dogs be licensed with LA county because my DL shows an LA county address - UPS STORE address). How does this work with us who keep travelling / bouncing around?

OTHER URGENT QUESTIONS:

1. How many dogs can I legally have in my RV in the county of LA?
2. Is my RV considered my "place of residence". LA county rules state that one can have up to 3 dogs at their residence, does it apply to RVers also?
3. I am currently parked at a friend's property, and they have 2 dogs. The property address is NOT the same as my DL (obviously).
Am I considered a guest or a resident? How long can I stay there, living in my RV, until I am - by law - considered to be a permanent resident at that address? Are my dogs counted along with theirs (if so we have 5 dogs at that address, will I be forced to leave?)

I must confess this is a bit confusing, and Animal control came by the property yesterday while we were not around and left a notice for some other problem not related to me. So now I am wondering whether I will not be able to stay here because of the number of dogs, even though my official address is not that property's address and I only park there on and off in between tours.

Has anyone faced similar problem with LA County and able to advise? I googled but didnt find any useful info.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer
8 REPLIES 8

Deuceofspades
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Move your domicile to Florida, Texas, or South Dakota. No state income tax, easy RV insurance, and no hassle with the dogs. Why you remain a California resident is beyond me!

it is in deed beyond your area of expertise, because you know nothing of my own personal reasons, situation or my life. Hence,I don't see how you could possibly know, or even understand ;). No worries though, since this is not the question at hand.
Faith, Kaya and Cody
2006 Monaco Monarch - 30F
Wells Cargo car trailer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Move your domicile to Florida, Texas, or South Dakota. No state income tax, easy RV insurance, and no hassle with the dogs. Why you remain a California resident is beyond me!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full-time for 6 yrs. We do not license our dog. We do however keep her up to date on all of her shots and care and have records with us showing she is current. We are visiting when we are in any state. Actually, no one except a vet or groomer we want to use has ever asked for her records or proof that she has rabies up to date.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES you NEED to have your dogs licensed/rabies shots--certificate and that would be using your Lancaster OFFICIAL address like on your DL

How many dogs...........as per LA County Regulations since you are an LA County Resident

YES your RV is your 'home'-----place of residency is LA County---but RV is your 'home'

Staying at friends property and LIVING in the RV.
It being LA County I highly DOUBT you can do so LEGALLY
LA County (California) frowns on 'living in RVs' unless in commercially developed, regulated business ---IE: Private/Public Campgrounds
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm far from California, but the bottom line is, if the neighbors don't complain about the dogs, probably nothing will ever become of it. But it only takes one complaint and then you've go to come up with an explanation. You might be "living" on the property, but you can always use the story your are just visiting and some of the dogs are yours.

However, if the neighbors are mean-spirited and vengeful (like some can be), they may be documenting and taking photos, and over longevity can prove you have been staying there long term. It's really up to you how you want to handle that.

Here again, zoning laws are different for every square inch in the USA. Where I live, my property is is zoned "single family dwelling". All around me is zoned "agriculture." My property is zoned in such a way, we can park RV, burn our own trash, and pee behind our own trees! There's no restrictions to hooking up an RV for use. The clincher is though, the property is still zoned "single family dwelling". If someone other than us lives in the RV, then the property becomes multi family dwelling, and / or if accepting rent for living there, it could be considered we are using the land for a "business" and we would be in violation of zoning. Granted, someone would have to squeel on us first. It would be very doubtful in my area anyone would.

What I'm saying is, each locale has it's own set of laws restrictions. And even differences can be found between county and county, and even between township and township within the same county. Or in my case, if I climb over the fence in my back yard, I'm standing in a totally different zoning type!

I doubt anyone on these forums can give you a correct answer. Your "landlord" needs to check the local laws in your jurisdiction. I do feel pretty certain of this, as far as the property you are currently sleeping on... you have no investment. If anyone gets fined or in trouble, it will be the property owner. You have wheels, you can leave. He may get mad at you for doing that, but inevitably, the responsibility for how his property is being used is HIS...Not yours.

About your license and vehicle registration and registration of your pets? As long as everything matches, and you are "mobile", where you put your head at night can be anywhere. But whatever you do, obey he rules and laws for the jurisdiction where you have everything licensed and if stopped for any reason, explain to law enforcement you are there only temporary, especially since you can validate you are living from your RV. (Think in terms of college students who attend school and live in the dormitory in a completely different state than their home. Yet they take with them the old family car.)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
NYC has a interpretation of common law that states if you have lived at a domicile for 30 days, in some instances, it's your legal residence w/ adherence to local statutes and regulations required. Have also noted similar in other municipalities.

5 dogs on premise in an area rated for 3 would be hard to miss by neighbors and local authorities especially if the original 2 have already come under official notice.

I would check LA county's website and/or a local atty to know what to do.

I would not rely on having a separate RV residence as a defense if I was dependent on local utilities for support and on another's property that might not be zoned for this type of living. Right off the top of my head I could imagine the local water board being "issue laden" depending on how people pay for water there.

2RVNuts
Explorer
Explorer
Use some common sense I would think. As long as your on wheels with a engine that makes your home moveable. You would always be his guest because you are in your own separate residence and its movable. If not leave for a few weeks then come back. Just my 2 cents.
1999 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Palomino Puma 5th Wheel
See you soon. In Florida right now.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
My only question is why are you registering and having an address in California if you don't live there permanently? California is the worst and expensive state to do that. There are other better states to register, get your driver's license and get an address for full-timer RVers which I assume you are.

The dog issue I think you'd better talk to someone more official than a RV forum.

Good luck.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel