cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full time 101 questions

dansacct22
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I own a few acres of raw land that I plan to turn into a homestead. I don't want/can't afford a traditional house, so I'm looking at buying an RV or tiny house to live out of full-time on my land.

No CCR restrictions, good to go as far as local code, etc. Two questions:

1) The best tiny house loan I can find pales in comparison to the 20 year, 4.75% zero down RV loans offered by Good Sam. Am I mistaken? I always thought RV's were considered a luxury item. How can their rates be better than a tiny house?

2) Since I don't plan on actually travelling with the RV, would you be leaning towards a travel trailer vs a 5th wheel? My 101 research tells me a travel trailer gets you "more for less," with the 5th wheel being pricier because it's easier to tow. Is that basically correct?

Thank you very much.
21 REPLIES 21

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
dansacct22 wrote:

...why you would get a slightly used model in this case?

I was not the original poster on this recommendation, but you seem cost sensitive and you could save quite a bit on the used market.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slides aren't such a big issue assuming you can get them out once. After all you will not be operating them after the RV is installed on your property. I'd think about putting bracing underneath the slide.

Also you will want to install insulated skirting, people use aluminum covered foam board as a cheap option. The screen room is a great idea and I'd look at storage sheds, either buying one or building it.

Fifth wheels are much roomier inside. And have much larger basements. No reason to buy new get a used model in good condition with good working appliances.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
1, contact actual loan companies to make sure you can get the loan you're describing.

2, fifth wheels giving you taller ceilings and a more spacious feel. Also usually gives you more storage.

My in-laws have a park model at a campground and love their "Florida Room" (i.e. hard screen porch). It doubles their living area.

I disagree on the no slides. They give you so much more living area. I do agree on the

I'd also second the recommendation to look at park models/mobile homes. They're usually bigger/taller than RVs and provide a bit more living area.

And lastly, doubly/triply make sure you're allowed to live on your land in an RV. It's illegal in a surprising number of places; people do it, but it's not necessarily allowed. The worst part is that once someone complains and the zoning officer comes to visit, there is no appeal and no getting an exemption. You must move.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

dansacct22
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Since the rv won't be moved I'd look for a five year old unit rather than a new one.

I'd avoid slides.

I'd look for leaks. I'd look for any sign of a leak.

Plan to skirt the unit. You may even wish to use plywood and closed cell foam insulation to create a "basement" for storage.

Build an "air lock" porch. This will add storage and act as a "boot room".

Thank you very much for those tips. May I ask why you would get a slightly used model in this case?

dansacct22
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
have you tried looking at Park Models?

I have. From the lenders I have researched, they class park models the same as tiny houses from a lending perspective.

Bizarre egh?

Thanks for reading.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since the rv won't be moved I'd look for a five year old unit rather than a new one.

I'd avoid slides.

I'd look for leaks. I'd look for any sign of a leak.

Plan to skirt the unit. You may even wish to use plywood and closed cell foam insulation to create a "basement" for storage.

Build an "air lock" porch. This will add storage and act as a "boot room".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
have you tried looking at Park Models?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited