cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Time Living Recap (Almost 1 Year)

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I am making this post in part for my own benefit and in part for others. I have posted and read here for at least 5 years in preparation to try living in an RV full time. My goal was to see other parts of the country in retirement. I did this for 11 months from March 2020 - February 2021. That's basically the height of the pandemic. Terrible timing, which is the story of my life, in a lot of ways. But I don't regret the experience, which is the theme of this message.

I had planned to buy a truck and travel trailer, but after considering my budget and the different options I decided to get a motor home and pull a Jeep Wrangler. I went new with both because I wanted to avoid repairs as much as possible. I wanted the smallest RV that would be comfortable for me and my wife. I picked the Winnebago Intent 30R, which is about 31 feet long and has 2 slideouts.

The reasons I got out were as follows:

We wanted to see other places where we could live and my wife could work (she's not retired). She found a place she liked so we decided to rent a place and stay here for at least a year.

I was tired of living in the small area of an RV. Our new rental house is like a mansion in comparison and I feel much more relaxed.

The stress of planning a cross country trip and then driving this big vehicle and now paying much more for gas and probably some minor repairs/maintenance were taking the fun out of this.

After you've seen one state or COE park, you've basically seen them all, in my opinion, with a few variations.

In summary, for me, an RV is not good choice for year round living in the same place because of the season changes. Here in South Texas the A/C would be droning on the roof almost 24/7 during the summer. So it was either sell it or store it. Prices appear to be good right now due in part to the pandemic so I wanted to "get while the getting's good". I calculate that I didn't spend much more in total during our time in the RV, including depreciation, compared to living in Dallas in an apartment for the last year. So it didn't damage my retirement finances. In fact, if we miss the RV lifestyle we could do it again some day when my wife doesn't want to work any more.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
18 REPLIES 18

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone makes mistakes and it sounds like you made several decisions without the correct information about the results.
We took off full time in a medium RV and were happy for 3 years. We loved it and decided we loved it enough to buy an even larger RV. We have been living AND TRAVELING full time in our 40' RV (no slides) since 2000 and we could not be happier and we see no end in sight. We even sold our 40' no slide coach and bought another 40' no slide coach last year. The size and amenities are just perfect for us. If our plans change and we want to go somewhere to stay for 6+ month or a year we would not do that in an RV. We would drive where we wanted to stay, rent a house and then do it again if we wanted to move 6 months or a year later. We find new and unique destination everywhere we go despite the 100's of thousands of miles we have driven. Everything everywhere is pretty much the same?? Yeah, no!!

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:

I decided to get a motor home and pull a Jeep Wrangler.

I wanted the smallest RV that would be comfortable for me and my wife.

I was tired of living in the small area of an RV.

The stress of planning a cross country trip and then driving this big vehicle and now paying much more for gas and probably some minor repairs/maintenance were taking the fun out of this.

After you've seen one state or COE park, you've basically seen them all, in my opinion, with a few variations.

In summary, for me, an RV is not good choice for year round living in the same place because of the season changes.

The above statements by you are signaled out. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

You were after a different reason to full-time than most others. You were looking for a place for your wife to work and stay stationary year-round. That rules out many of the best places.

You picked the smallest RV and then you state you're tired of living in a small RV.

There shouldn't be stress in planning. That was a fun thing for us to do. However, we didn't plan far ahead... just from place to place. We meandered the secondary roads and stopped when the spot looked interesting. Then we explored the area fully. Then we moved on .... perhaps only 100 mi. or up to 300 mi. We stayed off interstates as much as possible. That's where the stress is. We stayed away from big cities. Some of our 16 yr. of full-timing was a whole season spent in one state.

Stress in driving the RV? We found it relaxing. We both drove so the other could do some viewing. On our trips to Alaska we took turns every day.

Did you ever get to use your Jeep on some of the awesome western Jeeping trails? That was a big part of our entertainment.

Some seasons we volunteered in national and state parks which was an awesome experience. A few times we were campground hosts but most of the time we worked in interpretation such as giving lighthouse tours. This gave us a feeling of truly helping out in the parks we liked to visit and it gave us a purpose. How many are so fortunate as to be able to actually live in a national park? The rangers became friends and we were often included in their activities and shared meals.

Finally, your statement "after you've seen one state park or COE park you've basically seen them all" definitely isn't the case with most of us RVers. Each park and area are unique. That's why the parks are there - so others can share the experience of that park and it's surroundings.

Again, sorry it wasn't for you.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE Went FT to TRAVEL...NOT park and live in an 350Sq/Ft RV

We TRAVELED for 7 YRS moving weekly/bi-monthly to see the USA, experience small town USA and explore/adventure

Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Especially when you bought NEW

To US FTng is all about the travel place to place NOT parking for months on end
It was never about the Campground ---it was about the area/locale
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Brand new for a year, there shouldn't be any significant maintenance. If there is something major, it should either be warranty or insurance covered.

You might want to try it again in the future during normal times. Lots of sites are closed or limited access. While it's great to hit a nice forested state park periodically, just sitting in a random wooded lot gets boring fairly quickly unless there is more to see and do.

Not sure what the stress of planning is...unlike a vacation, you don't need to hammer out 500mile days with advance reservations when you full time. We just turned north from Florida a week ago and expect to reach Michigan sometime late April. A side benefit of traveling slow is fuel costs are less of a concern.

That said, it's not for everyone.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV